- advertisement -

September 23

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sam1nat2, Apr 28, 2010.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

That's the date that ALL of our kids will be able to get health insurance:D

NO companies will be able to deny them coverage based on preexisting conditions!!!

They can get individual coverage and do not need to be on a group plan. My plan is to put Sam on an individual plan at that time, by himself. He will be able to keep that plan for as long as he needs it. Of course there will be increases in premiums for the preexisting coverage, but I'm pretty sure that it will cost less than the group plan he is on right now.

2. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

I think also that is the date that our kids can be covered until the age of 26 on our health plan, regardless of status.
    :D

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

DH's insurance plan through work has always covered DD on their plans with no pre-existing condition.

So, this will impact buying private health insurance or if an employer plan has a waiting period for pre-existing?

Private health insurance may have to cover those with pre-existing conditions...I hope premiums are not increased to a point where they are unafforable for those trying to purchase them.

4. sam1nat2

this applies to individual coverage. Group coverage will cover them always. Often when people loose coverage and have to choose between cobra and individual, individual wasn't an option and they had to go with high priced cobra.

Yes, I think that is also when kids can stay on family plan until age 26. I always recommended getting kids on an individual plan when they went to college, just in case they are dx'd with something and cannot find a job with group benefits. Not sure what the cut off age is for kids with preexisting conditions is. I know that in 2014 everyone will be able to get coverage with no preexisting, however who knows how cost prohibitive that will be!

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

This is my fear. Premiums set at such a high rate that it doesn't matter anyway.

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

the smart thing would to give all people insurance at decent rates - that way they are more likely to go to a doctor for routine and preventative care - which means they are less likely to present with a condition that is advanced (and preventable) and instead are likelier healthier and actually LESS of a burden on the healthcare system - which then justifies the decent rate they should be given.

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

My youngest is almost 24 and lost her health insurance when she quit her job to move to CO. I could put her back on mine, but frankly, I am already paying her car payments and the insurance on the car and I don't have the extra $600+ that it will take to put her back on mine. I sound like a witch, but I promise I'm really not. Just that I am on a fixed income.

8. sam1nat2

I don't disagree with this. There are a LOT of things that can be done differently. Don't feel up to a debate, just wanted to let everyone know as I just found out this week and I'm in the biz