- advertisement -

Sent her off to school today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Meredithsmom, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Meredith went to Kindergarten today. I did not cry until I left the building. :) She was thrilled to be going to school with her brother and sister. I am apprehensive about leaving her there all day and her having lunch there and a snack there. I know the school staff will take care of her and I am a phone call away, but she is my baby, she has diabetes, and she has celiac (for 10 days, now). So, I will have another sip of my coffee and remember to breathe.

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

She'll be home before you know it, happy and excited about her day!:) Keep breathing and know it gets easier day by day. Last year was hard for me when my son was at school all day and eating there. I watched the clock all day waiting for recess and lunch times. Now, those times usually pass without my notice...and I know he's fine.

Congratulations to you both on this milestone!! Many more to come...hold on to your hat!;):p

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My baby with D & Celiac just started last week. I will be freaked out with you. ;) (((hugs)))

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's a big step! I was very nervous on Jack's first day of kindergarten too.

The good news is that subsequent first days at school are a lot less stressful. This is just one more "rite of passage" you'll go through as a D Mom. :)

Oh, and I'm very sorry to hear of the celiac diagnosis. :( How is that going?

5. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I remember that anxiety! Hope everyone has a good day. I found that the school librarian could always use a hand (and I just happened to volunteer around lunch time!).

6. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Aww that'll be me on Tuesday too. A not very fun club. You've got my thoughts today.

7. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

We were there last year. DH spent a week at the school making sure everyone knew what to do! This year T starts 1st grade...on Tuesday. Nervous, yes. And DH will be there again so whew!

8. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Congratulations to all of you! It's a huge step, even without D and celiac. Hope she has a great first day, and that you're able to enjoy it a little. :cwds: Know that it gets easier!

9. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Awww poor mommy! :cwds: You poor thing--I remember those days well. I know just how you feel. We all do. Hang in there--'re doing great. :)

10. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Thanks for all of the support. The day went ok. The teacher called me after lunch. Meredith was 70 at lunch (a little low for her) and she told the teacher to ADD 15 carbs to her total before bolusing. Because it was hectic and the teacher knew she was supposed to do something, she added the carbs. As soon as Meredith went out for recess, the teacher had the "AH HA" moment and realized what she had done. We talked it through and Meredith was a little low at their scheduled snack time. It all worked out.

Now, I have to do it all again tomorrow!! Isn't one day of Kindergarten enough????:eek:

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Dont expect to get everyting right from day one!

Expct things things to be in "flux" for at least a month, until they sttle into it.

Can you provide snacks and lunch???

With the carb count done by you, you can eliminate the carb count issue in regards to insulin doisng.

12. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

That will be us on Wednesday... glad to hear that she made it through the first day:)

13. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

It sounds like it all worked out! This will be us on Tuesday. The thing is, it sounds like you have support in your school. I am the one who has to go in and test my daughter. I will post a separate "vent" post right now, but wanted to say it was great to read your posting.