- advertisement -

Sensative to Insulin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by actnuts, Oct 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. actnuts

actnuts New Member

We have a soon to be six year old girl with type I diabetes diagnosed January 2009. She seems very sensative to Diabetes. We use humalog and lantus pens to administer the insulin. Her doctor, Dr. Deeb, Tallahassee, Florida seems perplexed as well. She is very tiny for her age. She has weighed the same (39lbs) since she was diagnosed. She looks healthy and can play with other children with no problem. Her blood sugar level is usually on the high side but if we administer the doctor recommend level of insulin it seems to nose dive. Frustrated! Anyone out there with suggestions/questions? Thanks in advance!

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Dr. Deeb is as good as it gets, so rest assured that you are in very good hands.

Have you considered using an insulin pump? Pumps can deliver very, very small doses of insulin with much more precision that you can with injections.

Just a thought.

3. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

The novolog and lantus pens that we use deliver whole units of insulin only. As Jeff was saying, she may need much greater precision than that, which a pump would be able to provide.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Has your dr suggested diluting insulin? You can then dose in fractions of units.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, we were on diluted insulin with my 10 month old. That would be shots not pens though. We got on the pump as quick as we could.

6. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

My son is the SAME way, he was dx'd almost 3 years ago, and is still only 33lbs only gaining less then a pound in 3 years. He has crazy bg swings, most times there are no reasons for. We were on Diluted insulin for a few months and that helped. then we switched to an insulin pump, which has helped us beyond belief. Now that being said we still have the wild swings, and random drops, because IMHO insulin sensitivity changes by day. But a pump is easier to shut off, or lower the amounts of insulin given.

Lantus might also be the issue, it made my DS hyper sensitive to novalog. once the lantus was removed we noticed a huge difference. We now use novalog in his pump with no problems.

There were other good points brought up like using half doses of insulin, either with a syringe in order to get smaller amounts of lantus, and a nova pen jr to help with half unit does. At one point before the diluted insulin we would give smidges of insulin, we where never sure how much it was, but always under half a unit and sometimes it worked, other times it didnt. But as we all know, it is a guessing game most days. At one point he was getting 1 unit for every 100 carbs. So if he ate 35g carbs he would need .35u on insulin:( diluted insulin was the only way we could safely correct him. We also could not treat for bg under 270 during the day, and 360 at night until diluted because it was just not safe.

So I would ask about diluted, or even better an insulin pump! With a child as sensitive there is not a safe way to treat them without these tools! IMO

Good luck You are not alone feel free to PM me anytime if you would like to vent

7. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Insulin Sensitivity

I agree with Jeff. A pump that delivers very small amounts of insulin...even as small as 0.05 units...could be the answer for your child.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

How much is the doctor recommending?