- advertisement -

Senate confirms Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Ellen, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Not saying that it was an AA pick at all. The implication by the OP and the first responder was that her nomination was to be celebrated because she is female. I don't see her as a female who happens to be liberal, I see her as a liberal. I believe that NOW's stance on Sarah Palin probably speaks volumes about who supports whom and why. Conservatives would vote for a conservative woman, a conservative African-American, or a conservative alien from Jupiter. It is not conservatives who seek to categorize, label, define, and ultimately divide people according to race, sex, orientation, etc.

I honestly have no response to the word "Jew." I really had no idea she was Jewish until you said so, nor have I ever been exposed to any anti-Jewish rhetoric. The only anti-semitic activity I have ever seen was from President Obama's former pastor, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and those who consistently side with nations bent on the destruction of Israel. I would genuinely appreciate someone explaining to me why Jewish people vote almost exclusively for Democrats when it is Republicans who traditionally are more supportive of Israel.

The idea that Republicans are "anti-gay rights" is probably generally a fair statement in the same sense that one can metaphorically say Democrats are "anti-business." The difference is that I am not a Republican, I am a conservative, and a true conservative takes a Constitutional view of the topic.

2. Brensdad

You said I was not credible, and implied that credibility is required to enter. I'm I not credible because I take an opposing viewpoint? If that is true, then I have no choice but to consider you not credible; which I said I would not do.

Therefore, the next step in logical flow is that I am held to a different standard of credibility than those with a differing ideological bent.

I believe it was Keith Olbermann, in his completely irrational, vindictive, and just plain nasty attack on Scott Brown who said, "If you don't like what I have to say, then disprove it."

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think it's completely fair to celebrate the 3rd woman in the USSC's long and storied history. Sandra Day O'Connor could not get a job as anything but a secretary when she graduated from law school. I, myself, have been taken to be a secretary or a paralegal more times than I care to remember, even though more women are graduating from law school these days than men. So yeah. It's cool that she's a (completely qualified) woman. I make no apologies for that, and I suspect that OP doesn't either.

Uh, is it a mystery why NOW doesn't support Sarah Palin? I'm not even sure what your point is there. Are you saying that liberals WOULDN'T vote for a liberal woman, a liberal African-American or a liberal alien? Again, I seem to be missing your point. And as for conservatives being the great unifiers of this country, again, you've lost me.

Frankly, I am completely unqualified to speak on whether Republicans or Democrats are better friends to Isreal. I will say that in my opinion, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are complete idiots.

Well, I don't think Republicans as a party are "metaphorically" anti-gay rights. As a party, they are, in fact, anti-gay rights. As in their party platform says things like, "Marriage should be between a man and a woman." Democrats are not, as a party, "anti-business."

Well, I don't really agree with your basic premise, but if you follow it through to its logical conclusion, conservative "activist" judges are less likely to protect the basic human rights given to us by the constitution by not "stretching" or applying a law as far as intended by that document. The Constitution is not just a series of protections against governmental intrusion into our lives; it is also an enumeration of rights guaranteed to us by the government.

Frankly, and this might surprise you to hear, I think the current balance of the Court is pretty much ideal. Four staunch conservatives, four (presumed) liberals, and Kennedy there in the middle. (Although he does lean quite a bit right.) I think it would be a disaster for the Court to tip too far one way or the other. In my opinion, its legitimacy is best maintained by a fairly even balance.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

No Im serious! he's done that before:rolleyes: And yes, its very odd to talk about ones self in the third person , but there are all kinds of people in these forums;) Makes it kinda interesting sometimes:cool:

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Unbelievable ... it was a full-on, frontal assault of his blurting predictable, read-off-the-card, boilerplate ideology and now, with the help of the helicopter thread police, I can add the "T-Word" to my list of infractions - too bad you don't add punctuation police to your repertoire.

Let me get a few of these in: :rolleyes: :eek: :p ;) and :D.

Oh, wait ... :cool:

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

I skim through most of these threads. But I seem to remember that you're a conservative, Swellman, not a liberal (whatever that is) as has been implied. And my impression is that instead of the new brand of Palin/Limbaugh/Beck "conservative," that you are what I consider a "real" conservative -- not someone who parrots the latest talking points off Fox News, designed to manipulate people into rabidly backing the interests of a few billionaires, against their own best interests. I mean that as a compliment. We may lock horns on many issues, but you never repeat the misinformation floating around the intertubez and you're cynical.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In your humble opinion, perhaps.:rolleyes:

8. Becky Stevens mom

Oh gosh, my bad!:eek: I seem to have completely forgotten that some people think its completely acceptable to come into this forum and name call. As if being on the other side of the computer means that the other person doesnt have any feelings or the right to their own opinion:rolleyes: Oh silly li'l ole me;)

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

Well ... it really hurt my feelings when you said I was a very odd person who talks to himself in the third person.

10. Becky Stevens mom

You HAVE done that before! I will find the post when I have time. Another poster thought you were talking about her and ridiculing her and you said that you were talking about yourself so therefore I assumed....I know, when one assumes it makes an A** of of U and Me

11. Brensdad

I agree with this. The president appointed a liberal justice to replace a liberal justice.