- advertisement -

Semi-off topic: college financial aid

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Megnyc, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I thought this was a great article about college financial aid:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/e...ancial-aid-but-should.html?hpw&rref=education

I am posting it here because it mentions the fact that some schools do take into consideration medical expenses when determining the amount of aid. It may be worthwhile to keep close track of diabetes related expenses if you have teens planning to apply to expensive private colleges. The way my school handles it at least is they consider a percent of it money that would have otherwise been saved and subtract it from the estimated family contribution (the amount they expect you to pay) and they also eliminate some/all of what the student is expected to earn during breaks based on medical expenses they will have in college. But they don't know what medical expenses you have if you don't keep track and tell them :)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What are you, Meg? A mindreader??:p

The "college panic" hit me last week like the flu. (rolling my eyes at myself)

Great article, thanks for posting and for the medical expense tip. Not sure that it would work for us, we pay through the nose for insurance and then have little day to day in expenses. But still, good to know.