advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semester in Germany

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by chbarnes, Oct 30, 2016.

1. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Hi, my son Chris is a junior in college and will be spending his spring semester in Freiberg, Germany. He has had T1D since age eleven and pumps Novolog with a T:Slim and uses a Dexcom. The program recommends that you bring alll the prescription meds you will need for the entire semester and warns that shipments of prescription items will be seized by customs and only released if you have a prescription from a German doctor. Obviously, this is a lot to pack in your luggage. Has anyone else dealt with this?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have spent a decent amount of time overseas since my sophomore year of college (several months at a time each year). I just bring 3-6 months of supplies at once in a carry on duffle bag and it all fits fine in a bag that can go in the overhead bins. I split the insulin between the carry on bag and the back pack I bring just in case. I have never had any issues getting through security or customs in the US or in Europe. In Frankfurt (we are usually put on luftansa so go through Germany) I have always had to clear customs during layovers and I have never had a problem. The only issue is if the plane is crowded they may ask you to gate check the bag but your son should be able to go up ahead of time to the counter at the gate and explain he has a bag of medical supplies and they need to be with him at all times. Most if not all of the international airlines have policies that allow you to bring an extra bag with needed medical supplies as long as there is nothing else in besides medical supplies (so no magazines or toiletries). Sometimes they give you a tag that says "Cabin Baggage" on it so no one bugs you to check it while boarding the plane. I usually bring an extra month of supplies but I spend time in the middle east where it is a bit tougher to acquire back up supplies if necessary. I'll attach a screen shot of what I bring for 4 months to this post.
    Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 12.34.31 PM.png

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I would encourage contacting Tandem to get a loaner pump. During a 10 month stay, my daughter had her T:slim poop out twice! She took a five month supply and then a five month supply back after she came home for the winter holidays. Her carry on suitcase was filled with infusion sets, cartridges and test strips. She carried her insulin (9 vials) in an extra large frio pack in her backpack (aka, personal item!). Don't count on being able to send stuff! That said, I did ship the second loaner pump (Tandem mailed it to me and I mailed it to her). They won't ship a replacement pump out of the country! She had already opened the first loaner pump and 4 months later, it wouldn't load a cartridge. I didn't say it was a medical device, I insured it with our homeowners (temporarily) and mailed it as if the package contained books and candy. That always seemed to work going to the Czech Republic!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Thanks for both these replies. The table is priceless. His "waterproof" pump died in Costa Rica, so a backup is a good idea.
    Chuck