- advertisement -

Self-Treating

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaLibby, Apr 1, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

This morning, my daughter's fasting BG was 200, which was surprising since she's been waking up on the low side every morning this week. Then I saw that she'd gone low about 4 or 4:30 this morning.

"Oh yeah," Ella said. "The CGM woke me up and I checked and I was 53 with 2 arrows down. So I had a juice box. Then I was only like 80 so I had another juice box and one of Lydia's cookies. Then I went back to sleep."
    Okay...this scares/bothers me on a few levels: she was low and dropping in the middle of the night and by herself. she over treated. She said she treated herself because she knew she could and she didn't want to wake me up because she knew I'd already been up with Nick. I didn't hear the alarm.

But I'm so thankful she did.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'd say the system worked. She did well. :)

If it bothers you, then you need to make sure that you can hear the CGM when it alarms.

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Me a my mom have a deal that I get her if I wake up under 100 at any time of night and under 65 if I test low after she goes to bed ( like if I stay up later than her)

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well, honestly, she's 10, and I think she did okay. I would hate to think that she could feel in any way that she made a mistake, because she really didn't... sure it could have gone better, but the important thing is that she treated the low, everything else is pretty minor.

I can say that when I am low I don't always make the best decisions. Being low impairs brain function - that's been proven over and over again. The fact that she did treat the low, even if she overdid it and didn't wake you up, is what really matters.

5. MamaLibby

No, I know that...it was just a little unnerving. I'm not upset, I'm just a little surprised. Trust me, I am so glad she treated and heard the alarm.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

As a long time T1 the key part is her response. She did a great job! The more attomatic her reaction and dealing with a low quickly the better. Your brain function gets pretty out of whack with a low, so the more automatic you can make the response the better. She did great! After 40 years I still tend to overtreat especially at night, otherwise you never can go back to sleep...:cwds:ali It is always a bit of a shock when our kids start taking over there own care without feedback from us.:)

7. Jasmine'smummy

Jasmine'smummy Approved members

Jasmine self treated a night time low last week (bear in mind she's 7 and was diagnosed mid feb this year). While on one hand I was pleased the low had woken her I felt sad that she didn't wake me up. I must have been properly asleep though as she would have had to walk past my open door. She now knows that I want her to wake me if she has a problem in the night.

I check her at least once per night and mostly twice so no idea how she managed it. She wasn't going to mention it but she was slightly high in the morning and I said I was surprised and she said she wasn't because she'd had a strawberry milk in the night!

Sara. x

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm going to be the oddball here and say I think it would be a good idea to require that she wakes you up with an overnight low. I think it's fine if she wants to self treat initially, but it's a good idea if she's taught to wake you up after that, because most 10 year olds would not necessarily be able to weigh up all the factors which can affect BG.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree. While it's great she did what she was supposed to do, it would be good to have a second set of eyes assess the situation.
    I wouldn't fault her for what she did, actually I'd praise her, but follow up with, next time it's ok to wake me just so we can see what's what... This way she still has some control.

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I can understand that feeling. This happened with us for the first time last week. I checked him at 3:30 am thinking everything was fine. He told me hours later at breakfast that he had gone low (55 )at around 1:45 am, got up and ate tabs, set the timer for 20 minutes, re-tested at 109, went back to bed. I was a little surprised because up until now he has been afraid to be alone while low. And it was unnerving because I had missed it. But I was so glad he had caught it. I told him he did a great job and that I was proud of him. And asked that if it happens again, to please wake me if he can remember.

11. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

I think this is a good idea. When I was little I knew what I was supposed to treat with if I woke up low ("3 tabs and a breadstick!") but I was required to wake my mom up just so she knew. As I got older, into high school, I gradually stopped waking her up.

12. mylemonadelife

mylemonadelife Approved members

I would tend to agree with Em. Until I was 13-14, I would wake my mom up just to let her know I was low and what I had treated with. This way she was knowledgeable of the situation and could decide if anything further needed to be done or monitored throughout the night.

13. MamaLibby

That's what I did :)