- advertisement -

Self-assessed parenting skills tied to your child's A1C?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by type1moms, Feb 9, 2013.

1. type1moms

type1moms Approved members

Are your self-assessed parenting skills tied to your child's A1C? If your child's A1C is good, do you feel like you are a good parent? If your child's A1C is not good, or rising, do you feel like you are failing or not a good parent? Many parents with whom I talk, either online or in person, really struggle with this issue.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

comment deleted

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

To me this is a very simplistic and narrow view of your parenting skills.

I look at my parenting skills as they relate to my child as a whole, diabetes being one small part.

So many factors go into her A1C that I think it would be a mistake to look at that one number and assign much to it. The A1C is just one number.

This is the second or third thread you have created that asks some type of unusual question. I am wondering what exactly you are hoping to get out of this forum?

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Do not tie the A1c to anything but what it is -- a weighted measurement of your child's blood sugar. It has nothing to do with parenting skills.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

No. Not even close.

6. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I view my son's A1C as a guide. There are times where he'll have a high number or a low number and there's really no explanation for it, and those numbers will have an impact on that A1C level. Do I think that A1C level has anything to do with my parenting? Absolutely not. It's a number...nothing more. If anything, I use it as a reminder to keep a closer watch on what my child's numbers are doing and to look for patterns more accurately than I might have been previously. I will sometimes get annoyed with myself if I overlook something that should have been obvious, but it is a tool to use to correct what needs correcting. A1C numbers and parenting in my eyes are at two completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Apparently he is looking for information for a documentary. His first post on CWD stated....

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Thanks, Caspi and Chris. I failed to realize that. I deleted my comment. I thought it was an actual mom. Silly me.:rolleyes:

9. Christopher

Yeah, kind of weird that someone who says they are a man picks the name "type1moms". ick.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I don't like answering data-mining questions anyway - at least not when there is no disclaimer included.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  11. caspi

caspi Approved members

A red flag went up when I saw the same exact question posted on a FB group I belong to and realized it was the same person......

12. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Despite the other comments, this isn't necessarily a weird question. We all pat oursleves on the back when we have a great A1C, so certainly it's not out of the question for people to be upset by a higher number, especially if the child is young enough that the parent does all diabetes care.

So no, I don't feel like a BAD MOM in general with a higher a1c, but it definitely makes me think I may have slacked off a bit or need to pay a little more attention to DS's ratios. There might be a tiny bit of guilt there.Probably it would affect me more if I were solely responsible for DS getting his insulin, etc. He does a lot of his own care, so it's partly his responsibility right now. I guess I don't know for sure because we've never had an a1c that was "really bad." Of course it goes up and down some, but we've never had a really big jump.

13. Christopher

I guess what I meant by my comment is that it feels like the OP is collecting data more than asking for feedback to help them with a particular issue they are experiencing with their child or themselves.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  14. caspi

caspi Approved members

Bingo! (mts)

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

16. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

A1c is a health grade?

Good a1c means Diabetes management is right on target.

A high A1C...the CDE is discussing options to improve your health grade.

It does not reflect on parenting skills. Just a blood test to see where you are in your d management.