- advertisement -

seems to me d is quite a genetic disease...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by payam7777777, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Type 1 diabetes has a pretty well defined genetic component, but also an ill defined (that is, not understood) environmental component.

From studies in identical twins, we know that genetics alone are not enough. When one identical twin has type 1, the other has only a 50% risk -- not 100% if type 1 were purely genetic.

The environment factor (or factors) is not known, in spite of many theories that have included early exposure to cow's milk and vaccinations, neither of which have stood up to scrutiny (in spite of what some may say).

There is some thinking that early exposure to wheat may be a trigger, and that is under study right now.

2. Noel

Noel Approved members

I think we're genetic....MY husband and one of his 2 brothers are type 1 and my one of my sons. I always wonder why out of the 6 kids between the 3 brothers my child ended up with it and none of the others???? Guess God just knew we could handle it!:cwds:

3. gradysmom

gradysmom Approved members

My little brother diagnosed at 13 now 30
    My husbands little sister diagnosed at 9 months now 30

Now 2 out of our 3 kids!

We put the baby in the TRIGGER study and did everything by the books and then some. Breast fed exclusively for 18 months, no formula or cows milk, cheese, ice cream nothing......and there I am in the hospital with the baby just before he turned three. Now we're kicked out of TRIGGER.

4. Anne

Anne Approved members

Nobody on either side of our families with any type of diabetes, but endocrine and autoimmune diseases on my side. I had a pituitary tumor and my mom (my son's maternal grandmother) has hyperthyroidism.
    Anne

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Just curious, what is the TRIGGER study?:)

6. Flutterby

There is no immidiate family that has type 1.. we have type 2 coming out of the corners in my side of the family.. but only great-great-great-great grandparent.. not even sure which side.. with type 1.. way way way back...

we were shocked to say the least!

7. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

My sister and I both have a child with Type 1. No one else prior to that.

8. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

My great grandmother, 2 of her 15 children (both girls-great aunts), they both had 2 children (2nd cousins) that have D, then my Dad was dx'd at 25. Then nothing until Reagan.

All with type 1. DH's grandfather had type 2.

9. Flutterby

I met someone when I was doing a bake sale to raise money for JDRF, she said there were 8 siblings in her family and 7 of them had type 1.. she was the one and only that did not:eek: .. can you image???????????? and she was older.. maybe 40ish..

10. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

There's no doubt about a genetic link. I think the autoimmune link is big too, even if there's not D in the family.
    I've also read that the younger you are at dx's the stronger your D genetics are, (so it's triggered more easily). I think it's interesting that many of the kids dx'd before age one have a parent or grandparent with type 1, in our case... both.

My father and his sister were both dx'd T1 within a year of each other when they were kids, (2 out of 7 kids). My father developed RA as well.
    On my mom's side there's no type 1, but there's a lot of AI hypothyroid disease and celiac.

My husband was dx'd at 26, and has cousins on both side of his family that were dx'd as kids.

According to the research I've read our son is at significant risk because of the genetics at play. He has a grandparent, parent and sibling with type 1... yikes! We've chosen not to screen him for antibodies at this time, but we watch him very closely.

11. Flutterby

I've also heard that the younger the child is at dx the more likely that a sibling will be dx as well..and the the closer to dx the more likely as well.. as the years gap the less likely a sibling will be dx.. did that make any sense.. I'm so tired LOL...:rolleyes:

we had jaylin tested for antibodies last year.. they were negative, but it doesn't stop me from worring because she can develop them at anytime.. not sure if we'll have her tested again this year or not..

12. bensgirl

bensgirl Approved members

No Type 1 on either side of the family until Alexander.
    My mom was dx with Type 2 in 2005.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  13. Yaaker

Yaaker Approved members

No type one D as far back as anyone can remember on both parents sides,two maternal Great & Grandparents,both dx'd in their 70's.Now auto immune.....that's another story,we have TONS of allergies in the family,wheat,eggs,carrots,molds,cats,dustbunnies, you name it,also a couple of asthmatics thrown in for good measure:( ...but our PA (I know,no endo for Kristopher) said he was one of THIRTEEN kids in our little town or Libby MT who had been dx'd in the 2 months prior to July 06 (when Kristopher was dxd) the ONLY thing in common that they could find was that killer FLU that our whole family had around Christmas 05:eek: ,and or the chickenpox within the previous 5-6 months (Kristopher did not have the chickenpox) Nor has he had any immunizations,or allergies,he was a VERY heathy kid until his dx Lori

14. Boo

Boo Approved members

Upon my son's diagnosis, we knew of no family history. When my mother passed the news on to her older sister, she mentioned that their paternal grandfather had type 1, but supposedly lived into his 80's (no idea how old when diagnosed). So, in our case, it skipped 3 generations. The endo clinic doesn't even consider this a family history because it is so far back.

I do have multiple allergies and asthma as well as low thyroid. My sister and mother also have hypothyroid, and my sister had gestational diabetes.

15. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

then our children will very very possily have d [grand] children : ( in other words, if our children marry then they are actually contributing to further development/existance od this freaking disease!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  16. Barb

Barb Approved members

No history of diabetes at all in my family, until my daughter. :(

17. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

My father was always told that he shouldn't marry or have children. I couldn't be more grateful that he and my mom went against that advice!
    I did lose him when I was very young, but my life has been full and wonderful in spite of that loss.

If I had known how much D would've impacted my life I might have made different decisions, not to marry my wonderful husband who is the love of my life, not to have my beautiful, amazing children. I'm so glad that I didn't know!

So many things in life are hard, and diabetes is not the worst thing that can happen to someone. As hard as the past few years have been, our lives are full and happy, and Emma is the most beautiful, inspiring little tiny person I know. :cwds: I can't imagine my life without her.

There's a wonderful song called "The Dance" by Garth Brooks that sums it up nicely. "Our lives are better left to chance, I could've missed the pain, but I would of had to miss the dance."

18. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Payam, here is my thought on it. We are going to deal with so many things in life. For us, diabetes is just a small blip on the screen. If I spend my time worrying about what "could" happen in the future, then I am not giving my son much of a life at all. Sammy was #8 in the family dx with diabetes, so we knew the risk....would I do it again?? You bet I would. Diabetes is such a small part of who my son is. I would hate to think that he wouldnt be around just because i was scared of passing on diabetes.

shannon

19. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

I found out about a little history after Michelle was dx'd. Their paternal great grandma developed diabetes after having her 3rd child and she had a sister that had diabetes as long as they can remember. My guess is that it is from that side of the family.

My grandfather had diabetes, but I'm sure that was T2.

20. Flutterby

if I had known that I could pass diabetes onto my girls (as far as I know and have been told, even though DH and I DON"T have diabetes, we have to have some genetic compenent that we passed along.. not sure what.. but something that we passed along).. anyway, if i had know that one of my beautiful girls could get d.. would I have had kids, you bet your butt I would.. we tried for nearly 2.5 year to have Jaylin.. just to get pg with her.. it was over 3 years by the time she was born.. Kaylee, well, Kaylee was a huge surprise and the best one that I've ever had.. do I wish K didn't have to deal with this, you bet your butt.. but do I wish that I never had K so I didn't have to deal with D.. Heck NO.. I would still have had her.. and if Jaylin developes d down the line, I wouldn't regret having her either.. my kids are my life and I'd do anything, i do feel absolutely horrible that K is going to have to deal with this for the rest of her life.. she has a hard road ahead.. but she's also a strong, smart and determind little girl, nothing is going to stop her LOL.. :D