- advertisement -

Second G4 sensor battery low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, May 30, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My second G4 transmitter battery just gave up the ghost, 13 months. Had a new one ready to be unpackaged.

Life is good, when I am prepared.

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

You were able to use the same transmitter for 13 months?! I was told the battery should last about 6 months.

3. Amzanderson

Amzanderson Approved members

I was told that my daughter's insurance will cover one every 6 months. To order it and store it because the sensors have been showing to be used for 1 year. I think the FDA recommended a 6 month tag. (If I'm remembering that correctly)

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yes, my first 2 lasted both more than a year.And I ordered a new one and had it stored.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Definitely order one when you are allowed to. Our first one lasted exactly a year and then died within 24 hours of when it notified us of its impending death. I was glad to pull the new one out rather than wait for the two+ week hassle for insurance to approve it while we were doing nights blind - or up testing often - again.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes I think Ion this one I got 1 day of low transmitter battery, then the order new transmitter. I did not try to go past that and just pulled out the new one. Last time I tried to make the other one last but got so frustrated with the alarms and the ????'s and hourglass, that it is not worth it.

I have no backup right now but the oldest transmitter is only a few months old and I have one kiddo that I could order one on now and probably will once we meet out OOP max/limit or whatever it is called now.

7. khannen

khannen Approved members

Our first G$ Transmitter lasted 15 months I think. WELL over what I expected. ;) Hmm.. I need to look up when we got the replacement. Would be nice to have a spare on hand.

8. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I just got a new one after about 9 months, but we haven't used it. Dexcom actually contacted me at 6 months to let me know I might want to look into it. I actually started the process then, but had so many problems with Diabetes management and Supply that I just recieved it on Tuesday, three full months later. I haven't gotten any kind of a warning yet.

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I disagree with this advice. We ordered at 6 months with our first G4 transmitter and it sat in a cupboard for another six months. That meant that the second transmitter was out of warranty before we ever even took it out of the box. Transmitters do occasionally have problems and need replacing. Our second transmitter could have potentially been defective when purchased but not replaceable under warranty. The entire year we could potentially use it, it will be out of warranty. Next time we will order another transmitter closer to the one year mark since most users report 12 months of battery life.

We did open the new receiver and use it for a couple of weeks when it arrived just to be sure it worked while under warranty. But if you remove the transmitter from its packaging the battery is activated.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Interesting point. But I would rather Dexcom and a newly opened out of warranty transmitter than not having one at all after all they are the one putting a 6month life on it and recommending to order as soon as 6months comes up. Rather that have issues with insurance not getting it to me for 3months!