- advertisement -

second coronary revascularization (bypass)

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by LJR, Feb 16, 2006.

1. LJR

LJR New Member

Hello,

Just for the record: I live in Germany but was born and grew up in New Jersey. I have been diabetic for approx. 22 years. My father (no diabetes) had triple bypass surgery about 20 years ago.

A dear friend of mine, who has been diabetic for approx 25 – 30 years, had a quadruple bypass around November of 2005. She was a smoker (yes I know, no need to tell me) and obviously waited too long to quit. Not need to mention that the Hba1C values (do we call it that in the USA??) where never very good. To put it bluntly she struggled with her diabetes.

The operation seemed to go well and she had just started work again about 4 weeks ago. Ever since the operation she complained of a very mild tightness in her chest but otherwise she seemed ok. She never really regained her pep and often complained that she was tired. Last Tuesday she had strong shortness of breath. A trip to the hospital and 2 days later it was found that all four arteries that had been replaced are almost completely blocked again. The doctors blame it on the diabetes, which I do not really contest, but can the arteries really become blocked in such a short period of time? Does anyone know where I can find more information on this? Does anyone have any comment to this? Right now there is no action being taken except that she is on some type of machine to thin her blood. What happened here?

I appreciate any comments to this. My wife and I are shocked (and obviously as I am also diabetic) spooked by the whole episode.

Many thanks!

Louis