- advertisement -

School supply vent

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by virgo39, Jul 19, 2012.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Okay, I have a high school diploma, college degree, and post-graduate degree, which should qualify me to buy school supplies.

Just got back from the store trying to interpret the list of supplies required by DD's third/fourth grade multigrade classroom. We still don't have everything.

What I really love are the ALL CAP warnings to purchase certain named brand-name items because the teachers want that particular brand. It would be more meaningful if they did not misuse a number of brand names (e.g., kleenex, scotch tape, post-it notes).

AND NO TRAPPER KEEPERS!!! The warning was bold and all caps--made me think it must be some kind of gang-related school supply.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I would just get the cheapest brand of that item. To me it seems like your funding her classroom supplies, as I have never seen the need for scotch tape in a student supply list. And a sticky note is a sticky note, whether 3M made it or not.

It would be tempting to send an email asking "Is this for you, or my child?"

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I can see where they say NO to certain items (those Trapper Keepers are a PIA, our school insisted on them last year and they were the bane of my existence!), but to ask for certain brands...I don't think so. In this economy get what you can afford. RoseArt is just as good as Crayola, Target wipes are just as good as Wet Ones etc.

OK here is my vent. 2 weeks after school starts the kids have nature camp. We paid 50% in May, will have to pay 50% in the first week of school. In addition to us having to buy school supplies, clothes, shoes we have to buy camp supplies too. And they insist on all kids having hiking boots and guess what...they don't even hike! Nothing like having to buy new shoes that they won't even wear after it.

Sorry to steal your vent!

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree. I buy whatever is on sale. If they don't like it, too bad. ;) When my sons were in elementary school, we also received the NO TRAPPER KEEPERS warning, lol. Never did understand the reasoning behind it, though.

5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We dont even get the list untill right before school starts. But we are in the process of a move and we have no clue what school our kids will be going to.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ugh - I HATE school supply shopping! I once asked about the Trapper Keeper warning and it seems that not every kid can afford a Trapper Keeper and poor little Susy Q would feel left out since her mom only bought her a $10 three-ring binder :rolleyes:.

Did I say I HATE school supply shopping?

7. Noel

Noel Approved members

Trapper Keepers....

Maybe I can shed some insight on this...I teach 4th grade. I ask my students to bring a 1 inch binder as part of their supplies I do specifically request no Trapper Keepers but I try to explain why...my reason is simple...space. There just isn't room for students to keep these larger binders...they don't fit in their desk or their cubbies.

I am not specific on the brand of any of their supplies other than the binder, and even then I don't ask for a specific one, I just ask for them not to bring a Trapper Keeper or similar style.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

The reasoning behind the "specific brands" is that a bulk of the school supplies you purchase for YOUR child actually go into a pool for everyone... and yeah, I don't like that idea either, but it is what it is.

Put your child's name on EVERYTHING in permanent marker.. even general supplies like tissues and paper towels. That way there's no confusion during the school year about just who brought what, and who it belongs to.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

So far we've had it easy, just buying pens/pencils, crayons, the very basics.. This year my oldest is off to middle school where I hear they ask for a lot more. I'm sure we won't get the list for several more weeks. I'd rather have it early and pick up things as I see them on sale rather than rushing towards the start of school..

Wendy, I'd simply refuse to buy hiking boots.. sneakers work just fine.. unless they are funding this trip, and the shoes, tough @#$! for them. lol

10. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Our list isn't too bad. Both kids need earbuds this year, though. Luckily I found a bunch of clearence ones at Toys R us so I can keep extras at home for when they get lost or stollen at school.

Personally, I prefer Crayola brand over Roseart any day. Most years I can get Crayola cheaper, too. Last year I bought the RoseArt brand since Crayola didn't go on sale. The kids hated the crayons because they were constantly breaking and the extra glue sticks I had hear at home turned into a brown sludge that was a waste of money.

11. Beach bum

And why is it so easy for you to say it, but so hard for the school? That is a perfectly understandable reason.

As I said, our school insisted on them, but yet, they didn't fit in the lockers. Go figure.:confused:

12. Beach bum

Kim, I talked to a friend yesterday about this after I posted and she said No Way did she buy them. Her daughter told me there was no reason for them and that a sturdy pair of sneakers or Merrills are fine (praying that last years still fit, I'm going to stretch them out!). In fact, only one kid actually had hiking boots out of the entire 6th grade the year she went.

13. Beach bum

See I don't mind this because then my kid has less to cart around on a daily . For example, markers. They don't use them often, not even on a weekly basis. Yet, they are expected to cart them around. But again, the school needs to be very clear stating these items are community, so refrain from buying items your child may become attached too.

Hey Lee, I had our school shopping done 2 weeks ago...eek! Only because I wanted to buy it tax free before heading down to the Cape for the summer!

14. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

For fourth grade, my DS needed a Trapper Keeper. Very specific. It HAD TO BE a Trapper Keeper. No local stores have them so I ended up ordering one from Amazon. The reason they absolutely needed a Trapper was because they were going to use this as a transition year where they teach kids organizational skills for their homework and classwork so that they are ready for middle school. They would continue to use Trappers and the habits would form. Okay, fine. I bought the Trapper.

Got the 5th grade supply list...it says ABSOLUTELY NO TRAPPER KEEPERS. Apparently they don't fit in the middle school lockers. :rolleyes:

So stupid.

15. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

The comical thing is that while they do mean that they want the kids to have a particular brand of scissors (Fiskars) and DAP Blue Fun Tak (not the white stuff--so its easier to see), they don't actually mean it when they misuse other brand names like Kleenex and Post-It or ... Zip-Loc Baggies.

Which wouldn't be as big a deal if they did not include a note that parents should buy the brand name item if a brand is given!

The inability to provide a clear list does not inspire confidence.

And they must not post on forums because the use of bold, all caps, and underlining is ... over the top (as in NO TRAPPER KEEPERS!!)

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

Parents in our county complained about the school supply list because so many of the items were communal and they actually passed a regulation so that the public schools cannot require communal goods to be sent in. So our school list has two sections - one is for required items that are for person use. This section is really small actually and mostly pencil/paper/binder. The 2nd column are all those things that cost the big bucks: Sharpies, post-its, wipes, kleenex, paper towels, hand sanitizer, dry-erase markers, etc. It was like 30 items.

Here is from an article a few years ago - also being challenged were the fees charged to students for participation in activities and also subscriptions to those little education magazines used in class (Weekly Reader type stuff):

The issue of school fees also has arisen in Montgomery County, where a group of parents is challenging the legality of such fees.
    At the crux of the issue is the interpretation of a free, public education.
    In response to the challenge in Montgomery County, Assistant Attorney General Elizabeth Kameen, principal counsel for the state Department of Education, has cited a 1987 opinion from the state Attorney General's Office.
    A copy of Kameen's letter provided by state education officials quotes the 1987 opinion as stating "anything directly related to a school's curriculum must be available to all without charge."
    Wise's committee has been asked to clearly define what items are directly related to the curriculum and therefore should be supplied by the school system rather than requested from parents.

Here is a better article from the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/07/AR2009010703478.html In case anyone wants to challenge their school system!

17. L101418

L101418 Approved members

My only frustration is that I can never find rubber cement. Every year! But I think we are finally out of the rubber cement age. Otherwise, I'm happy to follow the school supply list. I actually follow it exactly. If the girls want something "cooler" I let them pick out a keychain or something for their backpack instead. I'm also fine with the "pool" of supplies and I try to give extras when the teachers need them. We have awesome teachers so I get what they want.

I was the kid with the different supplies. It makes a difference. I have very foggy childhood memories but have a few, very clear, memories of being "called out" or feeling different because my school supplies where not the same as everyone else. In 5th grade the teacher was instructing the class to take out our spelling words notebook, looked straight at me and said "Some people don't know how to follow the instructions of the school supply list." My notebook was a different size, probably because it was cheaper. She was mean. Crazy how this thread brought all those feelings back. Seems stupid but I realize now it has influenced how I buy my girls' school supplies for all these years.

18. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I taught kindergarten through fifth grade and I would only ask for fiskar because most cheaper brands are designed for right handed use only. I tried to minimize the need for pointing out Johnny had to have a special pair of scissors. Fiskars are for either and I supplied for those who did not send in if I could tell money or neglect was a true issue. I also stated a name brand in glue sticks as some work better and the blue or purple let the children have better control to see. The cheaper brands actually would let a project fall apart before it went home. As for Kleenex and other name brands used was for second language parents. They would understand better and they still got the cheaper one which was okay. Another reason for how the list was done was we had to use only a quarter of a page per student for the lists we send home. Therefore explanations could not be included, but I would help my parents if they asked any way I could. I was in the middle on a child's side no matter what. I have to conserve and meet the school standards and handle the public/parent perception when I only want what they want a child who could end up being the best person they can be. But still parents would grip and not communicate. If you have concerns about the list get the items but wait to mark them and communicate with the teacher and go make exchanges.

19. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Roseart crayons are more waxy than Crayola, and will show up differently on paper sometimes. Roseart might not work as well if it's not on regular paper (like it will be lighter and you won't be able to see it as well). If you do a Google search on Roseart vs Crayola, you can find teacher's opinions on why they ask for Crayola. I found this picture that was funny. http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/scientific-proof-that-rose-art-crayons-suck

I always buy Crayola around this time, because it has such a great sale at my local store. Then I can have enough 24 packs to give to my students if they need them.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I figure that teachers have enough problems without me going rogue on the school supply list. I also assume that they have a decent reason when they're specific about a particular item, and I do my best to comply. They end up spending enough money out of their own pockets for supplies. I don't want to add to that burden.