- advertisement -

School Supplies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylorsMom, Apr 21, 2013.

1. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

Hi Friends :)
    So we are finally getting back to real life a little over a month after dx, and letting Kylor go back to pre-school so we can get back to working full time again. I had a meeting with the staff and gave my first diabetes 101 presentation :) I was wondering what your kits for the school/daycare look like.

I have a meter, poker, strips, lancets, glucogen, humolog pen (we do mdi) pen needles, sharps container, alcohol wipes, band aids (sometimes we get a gusher, other times it just make him feel better) and some "low" snacks. (the school will be doing breakfast, lunches and snack mid afternoon and we are working with the cook for carb counts)

Anything else? Do you do one kit or do you have another for emergencies or field trips? Ours should be pretty portable so i don't know if we will need more than one. But they do take walks.

So tell me whats in your kit

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That's exactly what it in our daughter's school kit. She has an extra meter in her backpack that includes some candy and alcohol wipes, but other than that, there's no "portable kit".

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

When DS was younger & we had the kit, think we had all you described plus ketone strips & a calorie king book to look up carb counts of surprise treats/menu changes. A 15g juice box always part of the "low" items.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

For DD: We have two different boxes - one for her classroom and another for her other places (gym, art, music, library, bus.) Main one has spare meter, canister of test strips, extra lancets, spare Delica, batteries for PDM, juice boxes, glucose tabs, granola bars, syringes, needle clipper, extra pod, glucagon, etc. It's a bigger box and holds quite a bit. When something runs out (usually the tabs) the nurse lets us know and we send in replacements. The extras are just pencil boxes and they hold a two juice boxes, a 10 pack of tabs and some fruit roll-ups type stuff. They are for lows and nothing else.

For DS: he keeps his main box in the nurse's office and his others move as his schedule changes, plus each of his classrooms.

Both carry PDM, tabs, test strips and Delica in their bags.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Your kit sounds great, and you have been given good suggestions, too.

I will just add that I went out and bought the most gaudy fluorescent green insulated lunch bag I could find to house all of K's supplies. It is utterly ugly, but I can see it sitting on the shelf from one room over! In case of emergency, I think it would help teachers to locate it and remember to grab it much more than a subtler case that might blend into the general chaos of a preschool classroom!

6. Jennifer126

Jennifer126 Approved members

I also sent a small scale, measuring cups and spoons and a small calculator.... to help just in case there was a surprise snack or birthday party.... so they were armed and could avoid a melt down

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Depending on the size of the school and the structure of the day, you might want to make up separate kits for any specials classrooms and something for the PE instructor if they have designated PE. Just some tabs and a juice box or two, if your child is spending any time outside of the main classroom.

8. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I had in ours at the beginning of school a "cheat sheet" showing if under 70 do the following, if over 240 do the following, had my contact info on it too as a quick reference
    our school provides the sharps container.
    I provide the afternoon snack for our son as each classmate takes turns bringing a snack and he is allowed 1 15 carb snack each afternoon without having to give insulin so I send a variety of snacks that fall within that range for him to choose from during snack time.