- advertisement -

school snacks

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

My DD just started 2nd grade yesterday. She goes to a small private school with no nurse so all of her management is done in the classroom by the teacher, who we train.

They eat ALL day it seems like. In years prior each day there would be a "snack friend" who brought an AM snack for the entire class and a PM class for the entire class. There is a safe snack list that parents buy from because it is a nut free school. This week, since it is the first week the school is providing snacks. They aren't awfully unhealthy, mostly just goldfish crackers, but they are carb filled.

Because of two snacks/day plus lunch DD is staying high all day. She eats breakfast at 7:30 or so, has a snack around 9:45, lunch at 12, snack at 2:15 school is out at 3. She never has a chance for her blood sugar to come down much because as soon as it does a little, they eat again.

Today she woke up at a nice 114, but at lunch she was 250 and when she checked on the way home she was 244.

This year they aren't doing snack friend so kids will bring their own snacks eventually. I know we could have been doing this the whole time, but it's been a balance between trying to keep her happy and eating with the other kids, eating what they eat and trying to manage BG. I don't want D to isolate her. So as long as they are doing group snacks, I want her to participate. Once they bring their own, she'll be having low carb snacks and she can have a treat with lunch.

So after all that, my question is would you just let her be high during the day or would you change her basal rate so that she comes more into range to combat the constant eating, just until the snack situation changes, then put it back where it was before since she won't have so many carbs coursing through her veins.

Also, WHY do they think kids can't go more than 2 hours without eating?? I don't want them to starve her, but seriously, she isn't THAT hungry 2 hours after breakfast and lunch!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

A basal increase might well do the trick nicely ;)- also trying to get her off with a lower carb breakfast might help a lot ( I don't know that she's having carbs at breakfast, but since that's an eating opportunity you can control, might be worth trying, lunch too if you pack that).

It's insane that they need to eat that frequently in 2nd grade.:rolleyes: I know we don't ever want to be "that" parent, but I'd be tempted to get a read on what other parents think and if everyone thinks it's unnecessary, or even a number, then I'd take it up with the administration.

Good luck:cwds:

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I thought one of the main things that people who use a pump say is that it gives them the freedom to eat "normally"? So can't you easily adjust her basal/bolus to combat all the snacks? Why limit her carbs when you can just increase her basal/bolus?

To answer your question, no, I would not let her be high all day.

I do agree that sounds like a lot of eating though! :eek:

Good luck

4. Debdebdebby13

She's been eating the Special K flatbread sandwiches for breakfast, sausage, egg and cheese. They only have 20 carbs each and she really likes them :) When we don't do that she eats Greek yogurt with fruit mix-ins, those are 24 carbs I believe. Those are somewhat low carb breakfasts, right?

I have talked to some parents about it and most of them are 'meh' about it. They don't have blood sugar issues to worry about so they just don't care much one way or the other. It doesn't help that there are a few parents who send complete crap for snack twice a day.

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I never understood all the snacking either.

If it were me, I'd pack tiny snacks so she can participate, but not be just eating the day away.

Lat year, my second grader (non D) eliminated his own snacks. They only had morning snack, but if he ate his snack, he wouldn't eat much lunch and he'd end up starving when he got home. It was better for him to be a bit hungry in the late morning so he ate his whole lunch and was then a bit hungry when he got back from school.

6. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I am dealing with this too with my daughter's kindergarten class. i just learned that in addition to her lunch and the snacks i provided for the aftercare hours, i need to come up with an additional 2pm snack. She is on MDI so i am thinking i will have the nurse include the carbs for this snack in the insulin she gives her for lunch. I actually think she would be fine without the snack but I don't want her to feel left out if all the other kids are eating.

She likes the chobani yogurt tubes which we usually freeze. I was thinking i might put a frozen one in her lunch box and by 2pm it should still be cold, hopefully.

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

I would adjust basal and I:C ratio until you see good numbers. I would not be okay with high numbers. My son also does 2 snacks and lunch each day at school. I pack them, so I do keep try to keep the carb counts on the lower end and I also try to keep them consistent from day to day (similar foods, similar carb counts). I also try to pack lower gylcemic foods that don't spike quickly. I find that consistency is the key and that I can get good numbers despite frequent snacking.

8. Debdebdebby13

Today's lunch number was 135 after I bumped basal up a notch last night. Unfortunately after school she was 217 and she didn't even eat the afternoon snack because she knew she'd get a better snack after school snack at home (better than goldfish or pretzels). So I might need to look at lunch CR, or increase basal a little further starting a little before lunch. It's a step in the right direction though!

9. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

A pump doesn't mean you won't have a high postprandial spike after you eat. On MDI and the pump, my daughter will be the highest 2 hours after her meal. So if you're 250 and have another snack, you're just going to keep being high, never being able to come down with that much eating.

To the OP, I agree, that's a lot of food in a day lol. My daughter is starting kindergarten monday and they have 1 snack after lunch so its lunch and snack- thats it.