- advertisement -

School schedule: too much testing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylesMom, Sep 3, 2011.

1. KylesMom

KylesMom Approved members

My son starts school on Tuesday, and after meeting with everyone there we decided on this schedule for him:

8:30-9am (school starts at 9). Test bg on PE days -- PE at 9:05 2days/week

10am bg check and snack (correction given with snack if over 250, or a carb Free snack if 180-250)

12:15 recess for 30 minutes then straight to lunch. I decided on Kyle re-checking before recess if he had a carb-free snack or had a correction at 10 am.

12:45 bg check and insulin before lunch

3:15 bg check before getting on the bus.

How does this sound? It seems like a lot of checking to me--5 times on some days, but he has recess right after the time of day he tends to drop a lot (between 10am & 12--he often drops 100pts at this time without carbs, I think because of the lantus...another issue!!) so if he didn't have a carb snack he needs to check before running around. And I would like him to check before PE and only get extra carbs if needed because we occasionally have problems with the after breakfast spike.
    PE and recess both fall at his tricky time of day. Does this seem like a lot of disruption and bg checking in his day? How often does your CWD test during the school day?

2. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I'm going to be watching this thread closely because now I feel remiss that my daughter won't be checked more often... She'll only be checked before lunch (when she's dosed) and if she doesn't feel well during gym/recess etc. I have a feeling once I start to see her schedule in action I'll have a better idea of what needs to be done.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think it very much depends on your child and your child's schedule and needs.

DD is checked at lunchtime and otherwise only as needed. We do that because:

• she does not take the bus to school, which is in part to avoid another BG check at school
    • she seems to be aware when she is low
    • she has PE right after lunch
    • she is on a pump and -- at least for the moment, her basal rates for the school day seem to be working

I am happy that DD's schedule works this way, but recognize that that may all change next year. If you conclude that not all of the checks are needed, you can drop the one that isn't needed.

4. KylesMom

Don't let me make you second guess what you are doing. :) I'm afraid this is too much during the day. Kyle didn't test this much last year but he had a much different schedule. We know mornings are tricky for him and he has a lot of activity going on in the morning (plus changing classes with 3 different teachers). Your daughter probably has a schedule that fits with her needs better.

5. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I guess we'll see. I'm planning on being up there the first week an awful lot:)

6. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla tests 2 hours after breakfast, which happens to fall in line with right before her PE class for high school (team sports) she is usually in the 150 to 270 range so as long as no ketones she can go. Then she does test again after class and then again before lunch. Then once again before leaving the school to ride home with a friend. So she tests at least 4 times but three of those are actually within 3 hours of eachother.

Noah tests before lunch, 2 hours after lunch. On PE days, before and after and then one more time at the end of the school day because he stays for an hour after for flag football practice and the nurse's office closes 15 mins after school gets out. He will continue that most of the year because after football is basketball and then track. PE is every other day. So three times a day on non PE days and 4 on PE days because the after PE check is also the before lunch check.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree that you have to go with what works for you.

On the positive side you can always change the testing schedule and cut back if you don't need those tests.

William has only one routine test a day - before lunch. He has PE once a week and is tested before that. Recess is after lunch so no problem there. And he doesn't ride the bus.

This is the FIRST year he has ever had snack (4th grade) because their lunch is so late - so he does test 3x a week before snack at 10 a.m.

I think having snack and riding the bus and PE twice a week is what is adding up the tests.

8. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

My DD gets tested before lunch recess, before lunch, before PE and before the afternoon recess. I am sure I will be cutting the afternoon recess check out soon but I want to make sure she is ok during the day.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

At school I pretty much used to test before every class and before getting on the bus (6 times) when not wearing CGMS. It sounds like a lot, but I needed it because I'm hypo unaware but going to a lesson is pretty useless when I'm low as I won't take a lot in.. The amount of testing needed is so variable between people.

10. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

That ^. If your son doesn't feel his lows, then a lot of checking would be the way to go.

My son recognizes most of his lows - so he just tests before school, at lunch, after school. Those are our only standard times...other than that he just checks if he feels off (he keeps his stuff with him so its easy).

Then if we find he is hitting lows at the same time a couple days in a row, we adjust doses to compensate and go from there. :cwds:

11. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I feel that we test alot, but we would all rather be safe then sorry...
    before and after gym.
    before and after recess
    before lunch
    before snack time
    and of course when not feeling well..
    Not exactly in this order, but you get the point..:D I don't think that you guys are testing too much, but everybodys D is different..good luck with the new school year:cwds:

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We test:

Before P.E.
    Before lunch
    Before bus

And any time he alarms or if the day is a mess, he'll get checked more. His classroom is literally across the hall from the nurse, though, so it doesn't take away from class time really at all.

13. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

For now daniel will only be testing before lunch or if he feels symptoms. His P.E. will be twice weekly am after school starts and pm after lunch. He will have 15 c snack at recess. Endo and educator do not want us overtesting(for now) once school starts we will adjust that if we see lows. Daniel does feel them. For this week that we have been following the daily and bedtime snacking daniel has had but two lows...due to of course to the two bad foods he ate, fries and pasta....he's been doing beautiful with his numbers after exercise so far.

14. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

She will be checking before lunch and if she feels low. She feels her lows.

15. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

During the first few weeks of school we test more, just to get a feel for how her schedule affects her BGs. She has PE every day, 3rd class of the day. Right now she's testing before & after PE because we're trying to adjust her breakfast ratios to fit with school, & hoping to avoid lows. PE has given us trouble every year. Before lunch & one time in the afternoon, before coming home. Those are the scheduled tests for now.

16. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi My DD tests in the morning ~1015, before lunch and before snack (also with PE). Hoping to get rid of the morning check after we get into the swing of things. She feels her lows but won't tell the nurse or teacher :(
    Been this way since she went to school, she's 8. If anyone has any ideas I'm always open for suggestions :) We've tried many things...

17. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What time does he get his breakfast insulin?

18. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

It does seem like a lot of checking in a short amount of time (especially the recess & lunch check with in 30 min.), but you'll get some good data in the first couple of weeks of school and then you can decide whether you want to make any changes. You might want to pay attention to how he feels about testing so often too.

19. KylesMom

7am...I don't like PE being so early when he still has active breakfast insulin in him. That's why I feel like I need him to check right when he gets to school to make sure he isn't heading for a low.

His teachers and I are meeting again on Friday with Kyle to see what is and isn't working in his schedule. He does feel his lows but I can see him not wanting to disrupt his recess or PE time to check and sit out if he feels low--these are his favorite times of the day! :) I'm sure I'll feel better after school starts, I'm just trying to be very cautious. Thank you everyone!

20. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

Oh the fun of it all

My son is a new diabetic and just started school. His school is great. We had a meeting prior to school starting and agreed to test him at noon and before he gets on the bus to his afterschool program. Too easy!

First day of school. "I feel low" ok extra test. He is low. So now we decide always test after gym class. No Problem!

Second day of school we're now up to 5 tests because sometimes my son feels low. It's hit or miss because he's also autistic and loves candy, so it's hard to tell if it's attention getting or he's low. I have agreed to pretty much always test if he says he's low, because I'd rather be safe than sorry and he does in fact have a lot of lows.

Today at school, 15 tests, two of which are low. Oh God, what to do now?

Hopefully with more experience the staff at school will be better able to decide an appropriate amount of testing. I can't blame my son too much, if I was a new diabetic and realized the only way I get candy is to be low, I'd ask to be tested all the time too.

Melanie