- advertisement -

School nurse - mis-dosed insulin WWYD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sincity2003, Sep 24, 2013.

1. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

So, in the first 10 days of school this year, the school nurse gave DS the incorrect dose of insulin 5 separate times. Since we discovered this, DS has been calling me at lunch every day to tell me what his BG is and I tell him what dose to give himself (he is 9 as of today, so he can do everything short of calculating his insulin).

When we learned of this, the request we made of the school was that we wanted 5 separate incident reports filed, not just the one "self-reporting" that the nurse did (and wrote in it that it was DS' fault he got the wrong dose). It's been almost a month since that request and nothing else has been said/done.

What would you expect at this point? If it matters, we do not have a 504 plan (we are currently working on this, with a lawyer involved), and the "medical plan" he has that they say is all he needs, is very, very clear on how to calculate his insulin doses AND there was a phone call on the 2nd day of school when there was a question on whether to round up or down, so it wasn't a case of not knowing any of the information.

I feel that something needs to be noted because there are 5 other D kids in his school and if she's mis-dosing my kid 50% of the time, is she mis-dosing the other kids too? Our attorney is really focused on the 504 plan issue and not the mis-dosing issue, so thought I would ask those with more experience than me.

Thank you!

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

What sort of mis-dosing are we talking about? Can you give some specifics? And are we talking about using a pump or a syringe?

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If it were me, I would be more focused on understanding WHY the nurse mis-dosed 5 times. That would be more important to me than making sure she got written up. Once you understand the why, you can maybe solve the problem. Is it a miscommunication? A problem with technique? Bad at math? There are many explanations and determining the root cause will help you much more than just writing her up, IMHO.

4. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

I think we need more specifics to help you but you need to document each incident with an email to the supervisor (for us it would be the Superintendent of the district). Our school nurse is a member of the teachers' union so when issues like this come up they get legal representation from their union. You will need to document everything very carefully and make sure your child knows that if they are at all uncomfortable with what the nurse is doing they should question it and call you.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Obviously its your call, but if I had a 9 year old in need of medical care at school I would not want to make an enemy of the school nurse.

Understanding what happened and why and taking the lead on preventing future errors would most likely provide a better outcome.

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I agree with this. I have made many mistakes and expect that others will too. I still get upset and angry, but the main focus for me is trying to figure out what went wrong, why, and how to avoid it in the future. We have a great school nurse who works with us on these things.

ETA: Noticed your original post mentioned that your child was calling you "since you discovered" the errors. Did you talk to the nurse after each one or not realize until it had happened a few times? Was it the same kind of mistake each time? I think those factors also come into play.

7. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I agree with pp....I would like to know her explanation of why she misdosed and was she aware each time?

8. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Our school has a full-time nurse and our son is the only CWD at the school. Early on the nurse made several meaningful dosing mistakes. After continued training and multiple conversations, we were not convinced that the problems would not continue. So we have taken over ALL insulin dosing at school. The nurse and my son check BG's and treat lows, but when it comes to lunch, snack and treating highs, either my wife or I get a phone call from my son (or initiate a call if he's high) and we sign off on all dosing. We then text the nurse so that she remains in the loop. It works for us and the nurse seems to be relieved of the responsibility.