- advertisement -

School Language

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by Leah, Mar 10, 2010.

?

What language do you take/took?

1. German

9.5%
  2. Latin

4.8%
  3. Spanish

38.1%
  4. French

14.3%
  5. Other

33.3%
  1. Leah

Leah Approved members

Next year I'm gonna take a launguage in school and i was just wondering what launguage you guys take/took and what you thought about it.:)

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Leah, I take french and love it it seems pretty easy and it has fun words in it, however my sister took Spanish ( she did not like it) and my mom was a Russian major so I grew up with languages so maybe i'm not the best person to be posting

3. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I took french and I HATED it. And I mean hate. I thought it was hard and not only that you are most likely never going to use it. I would take spanish as it might come in handy. I am in college and nextt semester I am going to take intro. to spanish 1, lol.
    Good luck in deciding :)

4. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I took spanish all 4 years of highschool and am currently taking intermediate spanish in college. I hope to be able to speak fluently one day. It will definitely help me in my future job (nurse) especially if I decide to spend some time working in Ecuador.

5. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

I took two years of American Sign Language and LOVED it. This year was supposed to be my third year, but I ended up moving to a different school system.

Seriously, if you have the opportunity to take sign language EVER, TAKE IT! :D

I had some friends who took Japanese; it looked fun, too.

6. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I took French, and I LOVED it. Like really. It was fun to me, and I caught on it really well. When I switched to private school, I tried to take Spanish, but I just couldn't do it. It confused the fire out of me.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I didn't vote in the poll; but I took two years of French, and three years of Chinese. I also was attending Hebrew school and got credit for some years of Hebrew, but I used to live in Israel so that wasn't really much effort there. I also taught myself as much ASL as I could and got in some practice. I took a few classes but not for credit.

After all of that, I think that ASL is my favorite, but was the hardest and that I wouldn't have passed any classes in it. For Chinese and French, it was the teachers that mattered in the difficultly level, more than anything else. So if you know who would be the teacher, you might want to pick that way. However, I really enjoyed learning about Chinese culture in a way that I was unimpressed by France. Hebrew I can't really compare these to because it is like another first language to me.
    The language I most wish I knew right now is probably Spanish, because of where I live and how many of the people around me speak it. However, right now my home is consumed with Arabic because my mother is learning that, and that's pretty fun too.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I studied French from when I was 11 until I was 14, and took German and Latin for 5 years from age 11 to 16.

French wasn't that fun (hence why I gave it up earlier than the others) and in my opinion was harder than German. German is okay, but I mostly only kept taking it because we have to take a modern foreign language from age 14 to 16 and I didn't enjoy French.

Latin is relatively difficult for most people but is SO MUCH fun. Honestly, Latin is brilliant. You'll probably like it if you enjoy math and logic problems, because it's a very logical language and.. Yeah. It's great fun. It's also good because you don't normally have to learn a lot about speaking or pronouncing Latin, it's more translating from Latin to English.

I answered other on the poll because I have done more than one.

9. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I've taken only Spanish, there is a lot of different ways to conjugate a verb, but once you get it down it is really fun and easy. Right now I can fluently read Spanish, and about 1/2 to where I can have a fluent conversation.

10. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

I've taken 2 years in Latin and i loved it!! Its easy and fun. i tried spanish and i had a really hard time with it so i switched to Latin and i was able to really learn and understand it!

11. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

My daughter(10) is having me post while looking over my shoulder.

She marked other because she studies Latin, ASL and German.

She does a smidgen of Japanese but we have not done anything formal with it yet, although in a few years it will probaly be put into the order.

She will be starting Greek next year as well.

12. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I'm doing an individual study of the cherokee language, its very interesting. But I only know
    "No" "wolf" "attention" and yeah, thats it. I use to know more, but I haven't kept up the way I should. Of course, there are different ways of saying things, for certain regions I think.

13. Sunni

Sunni Approved members

Hi, I was supposed to take spanish but I missed so much school that I have to take it next year.

14. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

im taking german, it is awesome, some of the words are easy to guess in english, like hund, is dog or hound, katze (idk how to spell it) is cat, ive just lernd numbers 0-20 and ive alredy memorized the alphabet, if ur lucky, ull get a really fun teacher who interacts a little with the class, mine does, thats wats makin it fun, its pretty easy to lern, but it depends on wat u wanna do in the future that may involve certain languages, if u want, u could prob take a dif language every year, im takin german all vier(4) yrs tho, and then for however long im in college, i'd really like to go to Deutschland(Germany), but its all up to you, wat ever u think u like most, i wouldnt advise japanese unless ur good at pronounciation, students had to get permission from the teacher in order to be in that class where i go to scool.

15. WiscoJim

WiscoJim Approved members

im taking ASL in college. Its actually pretty fun and quick to learn.

16. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Took Spanish For two years when I was in high school. We livein Texas now so I've made my three kids take Spanish. Oldest daughter likes it andhas been taking for five years. Next daughter hated it and only took two years. DS is just starting.

17. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I had to take Spanish every year in elementary school and I didn't want to learn it so I didn't even try. In middle school I took french. I liked it but it was hard for me to learn. Now I'm taking German. I think it's really easy to learn and interesting, but that's just me.

18. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

French is obligatory in Nova Scotia, from 4th grade then you can drop it in 10th grade, I hated it and dropped it immediately French is one of the hardest languages to learn, and is frankly useless when you don't live in a bilingual province, I am now but it's still predominantly English speaking. Avoid french because the grammar in it is ridiculous.