- advertisement -

School Grief

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I realize that the OP may feel that her thread has been hijacked but I just wanted to ask - given all the extra educational effort that goes into educating a child with an IEP, shouldn't schools get funds to cover the staff needed? I'd even go so far as to suggest that any additional funding is more than offset by the cost of accommodating the educational needs of a kid with an IEP and that most schools would rather not add to their roster of kids who need that level of attention.

Sure, they get no extra funding for a kid with a 504 but that doesn't make a 504 some sad cousin of an IEP. By and large the vast majority of accommodations that might come up in a 504 cost the school nothing yet it's still providing needed accommodations that are legally protected.

2. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I was under the impression that the school is pushing the OP to have an IEP in place instead of a 504 that's why I made the reference that it could be for selfish reasons.

3. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I refuse to sign the authorization to release info and have it notated on his file at the Dr office that the school needs to contact us and we will determine if a conference call with the school and dr office is warranted for our son.

We have and IEP under OHI for our son's delayed development due to seizures. An IEP has measurable academic goals if he were to have just D and not be delayed in his development we would have a 504 in place. but since we have an IEP for his academics the accommodations that would have been in a 504 have been added to his IEP. His IEP has no goals persay that have any thing to do with his Diabetes just that when they are doing any assessments or tests for a grade that they have to check his blood sugars prior to it.

4. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

is your daughter actually struggling and having academic problems? If so, then IEP would probably be a good thing. But if she isn't struggling and doesn't need curriculm modification (ex. less spelling words, fewer math problems, etc) then she doesn't need a 504 just because she has diabetes. She needs a 504 instead.

If they go for an IEP and don't show her learning to be impacted then they will deny it. A 504 plan is for accommidations when any major life activity (not just learning) is affected, and diabtes affects pretty much all of them (eating, drinking, caring for one's self, etc)

5. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Yes this is all true...I just wanted to add that you can have accommodations in the 504 for testing during times when her BG is out of range that would affect her performance. Bethany has these accommodations and in fact took the math part of the state tests during the make ups as her BG was incredibly high when the test was being administered. There is no reason for an IEP for the occasionally times her BG is out of whack.