- advertisement -

School Grief

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Sep 10, 2013.

1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

the school matt is in refuses to let him attend unless I signed the paper stating the nurse could talk to the dr office. The nurse is a bully. It wouldn't even be so bad if she was at his school all the time, however, she travels to many schools and is not at his school much at all. So why must she have access????? She says its protocol. she is in charge of him during the day, even tho she is rarely there, I stated she was "in charge" of every student in the building wasn't she? and she said yes, and I said... you have medical access to all these kids? she said no... witch :mad:

She is also clueless on the pump, she wouldn't know if I changed a thing anyways.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If our school called our nurse or doctor, they'd have a heck of a long wait! Unless you are high and pushing ketones or some other emergency, you won't get a call back until after clinic hours (which is why I email). I know our team would say to the nurse (our nurse would never call unless the world came to an end and it was just she and my daughter) "did you talk to the parents?"

I wish you luck. I hate when people use their position to bully people!

3. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

thanks everybody for letting us know about including "parents have authority to change insulin dosage"in the paperwork. I called the end is nurse this morning and she will add that and mail us a new copy.
    I have had my share of frustrations with the practice,but I do lobe that they are very easy to get a hold of,and always return calls quickly,usually within 30 minutes

4. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

NO!

Do NOT sign that release.

By signing that release, the school would have access to all of your daughters records, and what happened to a D-friend of mine, was that the nurse at her school requested her blood sugar readout from the last appointment she had, and seen a few high blood sugars, and called child protective services on her parents (the nurse went to her parents and told her that he believed that they where medically neglecting her and that she needed to be removed from their custody). This was last year, she was 17, and doing her own d-care.
    CPS did investigate her parents, and she did have to stay with her aunt (a nurse) for 3 weeks. At the hearing, her and her parents had letters from her doctor & endo, friends and family, people to be character witness and papers from her endo showing how she did manage well and that the nurse over reacted, but the judge turned out to have a son who was type 1, and upon seeing the evidence, dismissed the case, saying that was the most ridiculous case of medical neglect he had ever seen. Her parents immediately had the release revoked.

The school does NOT need complete access to her medical records. I suggest finding an advocate/lawyer who can make the schools agree to fair terms. This kind of grief should not be happening :(

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I wouldn't sign any such release either. The school has no right to have that information at all and they are just putting their noses where they don't belong.

6. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I do the same! Last year the nurse took it upon herself to set up a conference call with my child's dr without my knowledge. The Dr assumed I knew because I'm usually so involved. I didn't know. The dr was apologetic and said had she known she never would've had the call. I was furious! At our 504 meeting I made it Clear that noone has my permission to call the Dr unless they speak to me or my husband first! Unless it's an emergency of course. I knew she was wrong and the principal did as well! Needless to say, she no longer works at his school!

7. wearingtaci

The school is still fighting,even with our new CDE. Yesterday we did our pump class and I signed a release of information for the school while signing all the other papers:mad:and turned the group all in when I returned Sophie,totally my fault I know and I am angry with myself
    First thing this morning the school nurse called the CDE to plead her case for her only checking with the nurse. the CDE called me right away and let me know what was said. Now the school claims they are testing her for learning disabilities,which was the first I'd heard of anything.The CDE assured me that she was advocating for Sophie and that we will work through it.
    I am absolutely livid and I'm feeling like I have no choice but to involve lawyers,since the school is breaking state law by insisting that she only treat diabetes in the nurse's office

8. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

Sorry to hear this is still going on. I had similar issues with my son's school earlier this year. I'm in Canada and I know it's different in other countries but I would think this point might be the same across boarders. Here you can revoke your consent for information release anytime you chose to. Maybe you have already. But if you haven't, you should. It doesn't undo what's been done but will limit further damage.

In my case I had to go into the school and basically threaten legal action. It was helpful to have everyone involved at the meeting, school nurse, principle, teacher and teachers aide. The teacher and aid still didn't agree but the Principle finally saw the light and trumped them all and privately I received a very in depth apology from the nurse which I think was promted by fear of loosing her license (she was communicating with my son's doctors' office without any written conscent) I also offered to sign a waiver in the future for anything they thought would be risky that I wanted them to do, like letting my son go eat lunch after treating a low without having to do the standard 15 min recheck on time.

Good luck!

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If you want to revoke your consent to obtain information from the endo, you can do so easily. Just write a letter to the school, telling them that you are revoking that document, and give a copy to your endo's office.

We had to involved OCR in a dispute with a camp over accommodations. They are really nice and helpful, in our experience. I hope you don't have to get to that point, but if you do, it won't necessarily be a terrible experience.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

They can not test her for learning disabilities without your signed consent. If you don't sign consent, then they would have the choice of whether they feel it's important enough to take to court to gain approval. Regardless, if she's having learning problems to the extent they're interested in testing for learning disabilities without including you as a full member of her learning team, they're not doing things well.

11. wearingtaci

This is what was found out this afternoon. I sent my husband in to speak with the principal,for a couple different reasons
    1. The nurse acted on her own calling the CDE after she had been instructed that she needed to contact us before reaching out to the CDE or endo. Her intent for the call was to plead her case against Sophie testing in class. According to the principal the nurse is not to contact the CDE again. She deliberately did this without anyone's knowledge and as far as I'm concerned ruined any relationship we had and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with her caring for Sophie anymore
    2.The"testing"is not for learning disabilities,but is related to the IEP we want for her.
    3.According to the principal Sophie being able to test in class will happen,but the school is asking for a little time to get a plan together. We can live with that in the short term

I'm still not sure what I am going to do about school meals. I really am uncomfortable now with the nurse now. Her actions today scream bully and sneaky

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you are asking for an IEP then they have to be able to document her learning disability. You're not seeking an IEP for D alone, right?

13. wearingtaci

The way it was explained to us is we can get the IEP under OHI because of diabetes effecting her learning when her bs is out of range

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Personally, I would keep the two issues separate. Have a 504 or some other similar document that clearly documents how you want her diabetes managed while at school. That may or may not include testing accommodations related to her diabetes.

If she has a learning disability, that should be handled separately with an IEP or similar plan.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Well, it's true that prolonged and excessive highs and lows can impact cognitive function, I would personally feel that the downside of having an IEP far outweigh the potential benefits for your average D kid.

16. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I've never heard of an IEP being given for just for diabetes before. I'd be leery of signing for that. Usually IEPs are for learning issues that fit specific criteria such as learning disabilities, emotional disorder, behavioral disorder, etc. General learning issues don't qualify for IEPs. A 504 plan can cover when d-testing needs to be done and at what levels, etc. I would talk to the ADA or someone with legal advise so that you know what you're agreeing to. Besides, what is psychological testing going to prove at this point? That her BG affects her cognitive ability when out of range? I think there are plenty of documents that could prove that to them without any testing other than her BG meter.

17. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

At least in our area, it would be very unusual for a child to have an IEP for D without any other issues involved. IEP's provide modifications to the curriculum such as reduced homework, 1-to-1 assistance, etc. in addition to accommodations like being allowed to test in class, etc. If you are trying to get an IEP under OHI for Diabetes, what "testing" is being done?

IEP's generally are thought to provide more protection in that they are more easily enforced and there are stronger sanctions against schools that don't follow them than there are when 504's are involved. I'm curious, what do you see as the downside of having an IEP? :cwds:

Christine

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

19. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

OK, gotcha. I think I read your comment as pertaining to IEP's in general, when you meant it specifically with regard to D. I agree, an IEP seems like overkill for a child with D and no other issues.

Christine

20. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

It's my understanding that the school gets extra funding for students with an IEP as opposed to no funding for a 504...makes me wonder why the school is pushing the IEP....hmmm. At least this is how it is in NY...my DH is a school psychologist.