- advertisement -

School Enrollment Question about Absence Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Mar 26, 2012.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I'm filling out an open enrollment form for 7th grade and I am currently stuck at this question...

18. Does the student have a record of excessive absences or truancies from any school or school district? (Absences may be considered excessive when the number of absent days exceeds 10% of the number of required attendance days.) ___YES ___ NO If yes, please provide details:

So last year for 5th grade we did receive a letter stating he did pass the 10% allowed, BUT as all of his tardies and absences were D related, and he had both the 504 stating he could not be penalized for D related absences/tardies, plus the chronic illness form, I want to say that those absences should not count against him, so I am tempted to mark it "No". But since he was in fact absent/tardy due to D, maybe I should mark yes and explain? What would you guys do with this?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would mark it, "no". Why raise a flag that might not be in your child's best interest? If it comes up down the road, you can qualify the "no".

3. MamaBear

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if that would be dishonest. Thank you. :cwds:

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would actually mark it yes and explain. There is nothing "wrong" with medically excused absences, and I worry that being evasive about it will start you off on the wrong foot with the school. (Especially since this is likely to be "caught" anyway.)

5. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I would mark it no and assume they are talking about unexcused absences. There is a big difference in middle school/high school between excused and unexcused absences and tardies. Our school even tracks them separately.

6. MamaBear

And that was my other thought, which is why I posted this topic to ask everyone's opinions. I had filled it out and saved it with it marked "yes" and in the explanation "absences/tardies due to chronic illness". I have left it that way for now (it's just saved to my desk top). Just feeling sort of wishy washy about it now. This has never been an issue before D, so just really not sure how to handle it. Thank you. :cwds:

7. MamaBear

And again why I am feeling wishy washy about it. Not like he was skipping school to hang out in front of the liquor store. :(

8. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I would mark it yes and explain, because he does, but with very good reason:cwds:

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

While part of me would want to mark NO because I don't want to raise any red flags, I'd most likely mark yes with an explanation and mention per his 504 all absences were excused.

10. MamaBear

Ok I am leaning more and more towards just putting it out there. We are going to the office tomorrow to meet with the woman in charge/registrar. So after your response this is what I changed it to. Do you guys think this would do?

" Absences/tardies due to chronic illness, excused per 504 Plan and Chronic illness form on file with **SD"

11. linda

linda Approved members

I was going to suggest you ask the Administration and current school nurse what the answer is. I would attache a letter from the doctor for their "Permanant Records" The 504 plan is specifically put into place for this, so the 504 is the answer! Good luck!:cwds:

12. MamaBear

Thank you. I was thinking earlier I ought to ask the district nurse about it. She is the person who told me to get a chronic illness form in the first place, so she'd probably have a good answer. :)

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think you should mark yes, and attach a explaination.

There is a "record" that will most likely be brought up automatically when is name is entered, and i would not ike to look as thow we are hiding something or being untruthfull.

14. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

This - mostly because sometimes when attendance is an issue one of the first steps taken on the part of a school is to force the child to return to their home school. Your situation isn't the same as a family who may have excessive absences for other reasons (not saying they're not legit, but the schools may not see them that way.) I imagine the nurse will help you fill in the best answer. Also, you could possibly put N/A, son home-schooled for 2011 /12 school year.

15. MamaBear

I'm not sure if I could put that home schooling thing in or not. They will know he is coming from the district based home school because since it is district run home schooling, they communicate with all the schools within the district as needed. They will communicate with each other regarding my son and his completion of 6th grade, and state testing, what level math he should be placed in for 7th grade, etc. All attendance for the home learning is recorded with the district when I log onto their site and log his time spent on assignments. No problems with that at all. My worry though is all the absences from the 2010/2011 school year. Those are in his permanent record and the form does say "any school or district". It does not ask for a specific year though.

16. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I'd suggest answering 'no'. The question asks about "excessive absences" and says that absences of more than 10% MAY be considered excessive. Not that the 10% cutoff is an absolute indicator of excessive absences. A child with diabetes may be out of school for more than 10% of the time but that would be a legitimate, appropriate amount of absences for that child at that time. There would be a difference between a child out for diabetes related issues and one who is constantly out because of unexcused absences or even repeated colds or sore throats.

17. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

This is what I would put if faced with the question.

My daughter has been out 31 full or half days this year so far. Migraines have been horrible. She is being treated by a neurologist now and has an MRI scheduled. The adrenaline surge from pain sends her BG crazy.

She missed her 8th grade writing assessment and the make up day for it. I called the counselor to discuss the teat and her excessive absences. Her response, " We are waving the assessment test for her. Her grades (all A's) are proof enough of her abilities. We are forwarding information regarding the absences to the high school counselor. You should call her at the beginning of the year to touch base. Her absences are no problem."

Then, our daughter was absent during the registration for high school. My husband had to call the high school to complete the registration. She had been recommended for advanced math courses. He voiced a concern that she might not be able to stay on track if the absences continue next year. The counselor said, "Your daughter is outstanding. I believe that she will be successful. If she falls behind, we will drop her down to a regular math track. However, trust that she will do well. By the way, you do know that she is definately college bound and will probably get a full ride. She should start choosing where she might like to attend. Diabetes has not held her back at all."

Prior to this year, attendance had never been excessive. It's just been a rough year. One key - we have always communicated by email or phone with the teachers and admin. We stop by and pickup her classwork and homework.

Communication is the key!