- advertisement -

School check in, how's everyone doing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We started last Wed. and for the most part, everything is going well. Just a few hiccups, but nothing major. Heat was an issue last week but thankfully both girls are in portable classrooms, so they have AC.

We are starting to find our groove with the bg's. Biggest challenge is that lunch is at 11:20, and the teacher insists everyone has an afternoon snack at 1:30, so we still have IOB, food is still working through her system, so it's making the PM bg check a bit off. I figure by next week we'll have a better handle on things as it's the week when everything goes into full swing.

How's it going for you?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My BGs have been surprisingly SO much better since returning to school. :D Usually I have lows in the first week, but I was having highs before I went back, so.. I've only had one low, and that was first thing this morning so not school related. And the highs have calmed down rather a lot.

My classes are absolutely great, although I have one of the fullest timetables of everyone I know, because my grades were such that I didn't need or want to drop any subjects. So I'm overloaded with work! :D AND, we are doing fun topics in Biology and Maths and Chemistry AND we might be going on a trip to Athens with Philosophy Society (really hope that one works out and doesn't cost too much - seriously cool!). It's really great to be back, although I'm applying for university at the moment and getting my application up to standard is kind of stressful. :eek:

3. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Sean's usually reliable numbers have become very unreliable. We fight with highs at least a couple of times a week.

I feel like we're starting over a little bit.

4. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

We have an amazing nurse this year so we are off to a good start! This is DD first year of middle school but she is loving it. Lunch at 10:30 really throws us for a loop, but I cant change it so we are trying to adjust. Have been dealing with changing I:C ratios, going from 1:8 or 1:10 to 1:12 and 1:15 craziness and lowering basals here and there. But amazingly I am not scared to death to send my child to school this year and that is a GREAT feeling!

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Today is Charlies first day of kindergarten. He has been going low. He was 81 at 10am and the nurse gave him a juice box. At 1115 he was 54 before lunch. The nurse should be checking him now before recess. My fingers are crossed for a good number, lol.

6. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Doing okay so far. Trying to talk the nurse into a 15 minute pre-lunch pre-bolus but she's not comfortable yet. Oh well. We do what we can, when we can. She'll get there...

7. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

DD's numbers have actually been better since she's been back in school - apparently we've got that figured out better than we've got vacation figured out! And she's pretty much stepped into her old routine without a hitch. New teacher this year who's been very accommodating so far.

Of course, I was supposed to go in to do a short D lesson with dd's class this morning, and forgot about it! :eek: Got an email from her teacher mid-morning with "I was expecting you..." Whoops. Rescheduled for tomorrow, and hoping it goes well.

Wendy - we deal with the badly-timed school snack by going no-carb. DD brings an egg or some cheese for snack, usually, and doesn't even check her BG before eating because it's at a time of day when a BG check is meaningless. Or, if it's not a big carb snack, you might also be able to dose for the snack with her lunch dose, so it's already on board when she goes to eat it.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

if its in her care management plan, they have to get comfortable with it now. ;)

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We're doing good here.. everyone seemed to just jump right back where they left off in June. :)

10. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Cameron started 1st grade last Thursday. We are trending high right now. Spoke with endo office today and adjusted dinner time ratio, as his numbers have been high through the night. We will wait and see how that helps the overall picture. We may need to adjust the Lantus.

11. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

PE is three hours after breakfast and two hours before lunch so he was going low. I adjusted basal and now he eats a mini snickers on the way to PE. It keeps him from going low and he just corrects at lunch if it makes him high. His numbers look a little spikey but his BG usually looks good when he gets home. The biggest problem we've had is he doesn't pull out his cgm and check it when he needs to. I think he was a little akward at first with all the new kids around but he seems to be better now.

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

First day here. Great day.

Everything is in place with her plan. Same aide to assist as last year. Awesome numbers all day and not one phone call! I kept waiting. Lunch no call, afternoon snack, no call. Drove home from work to pick her up and no late in the day call. Amazing.

ETA-Gym tomorrow. No calls tomorrow would really rock my world lol.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  13. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Doing ok here, although we still need to get the 504 plan updated & signed.

We had a very comprehensive plan last year, and after our review meeting they sent me 12 bullet points. I responded that I thought they were good additions, and the counselor responded that she wanted to make things easier for the teachers and this would replace our prior 504. um, NO!:mad: I've got the endo on board to write a letter if necessary, so I'm hoping we'll get this settled soon.

14. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Ambs numbers are swinging high and low...can't quite get the basals right.

Mostly high in the morning and high in the evenings low at midday. I just tweaked all her numbers hoping we get those numbers in range.

Growth spurts? excitement lows?

She loves school...and is doing great with her D and brace

15. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Ok, I need to ammend my previous gushing of school wonders today and add that ignorant people stink! I am extremly dissapointed in some staff at my childs school!

16. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Jenny starts tomorrow, she will be in school for 1 day, then they are off for 4 days for the Jewish holidays. So it will be an easier transition for her. :)

17. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Well, second day of school and Charlie is home with me. I had to do a site change in the middle of the night and his bg was going down nicely. Things looked good. I decided to check him again before heading to school since he was going low yesterday, and he was over 500. ??? I think I'm going to go bang my head against a wall... On the plus side, no ketones. :cwds:

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

second week for us, and now she's running high! It's crazy, last week her sugars on average were between 50-90 all week. Now this week she's running in the 200's. We haven't changed anything either, same amount of insulin same snacks. I was going to call her endo, but I know they'll ask for Ashleigh's numbers and they're in her meter. I'll call when Ashleigh gets home. The nurse did ask if Ashleigh started her period. She hasn't gotten one yet, but she's in 6th grade, so it's about that time.

19. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

High School has been great so far. The school nurse is knowledgeable. There are other kids with pumps, including at least one classmate with the Omnipod ("is that you beeping, or is it me?"). All of his teachers showed up for the 504 and asked reasonable, helpful questions. His debate coach has T1 himself, and said he could keep things in his classroom fridge.
    The school nurse e-mailed the show choir director to set up a time for glucagon training.

On the down side, he is running high and using all the insulin the pod will hold before it has expired - guess it can't all be good.

Chuck

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Happy, reconnecting with her posse ;), getting up early, packing bag the night before ... really, what more can a mom want from a 7th grader? :p