- advertisement -

school camp background insulin reduction?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ivan's Mum, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Anyone have any ideas on how much to drop the background insulin by. Van has 9 units Lantus morning and 8 at night. He is off to camp (with hubby) for 3-4 days and is a kid that goes low with exercise and that's what the whole thing will be. These also carry on over night and currently I'm not sure if he'll be sleeping in with hubby or in a dorm with kids. It may be that without the stress of school work he won't need much of an adjustment, school hols at the moment and he's gone up with his needs even though active. MAny thanks.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have never been on Lantus, but I know with my older son who goes low easily with exercise I have to drop his pump basals every trip like that he goes on. Maybe a 20% reduction? On one 4 mile backpacking trip where he had to carry a 25 pound pack I had his reduced 50%. I also change the target BG and make it a tad weaker. I also send gatorade powder packets and mixed with sugar that helps keep BG up in exercise. Also, regular premixed gatorade works great too.

3. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

thanks for your advice. I think we might look at a major deduction. 40% and correct with the pump from there. I'd rather he was a little high than spent the camp sitting on the side lines with a low.