- advertisement -

School assignment (vent)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andii, Mar 12, 2010.

1. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

Our first Endo had told us that there was a link to a certain rat poison and diabetes. I think it was is the 1960s but I could be wrong (he told us this two years ago).
    Even in the Pink Panther book it talks about environmental damage (e.g. from a virus or chemical).
    I've always wondered this especially living on military bases.

2. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

Dinosaurs...dinosaurs cause diabetes. And aliens.

Can she do a video interview with her endo team? Include facts from the ADA. Then include that with the report. Maybe even interview the school nurse if you trust her. If after all that he gives her a bad grade - I'd fight it because then he's made it personal.

3. Andii

Andii Approved members

Thanks, deafmack, for the link. I'll print it out for her and for all those helpful relatives who think she should subsist on carrot sticks! I've told her that there are many theories on what causes D, but none are proven yet that I know of. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a link between chemicals and all sorts of diseases. I mean, rat poison can't be good for you, right? But I don't really consider sugar a chemical (scientists can weigh in on that, I'm a history major). Thanks for letting me vent, I'll try to let you know how she handles it all.

4. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

OMG what a moron! I am so sorry did you call and go off?

5. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

Well technically, sugar is a chemical, but only in the strictest of scientific senses, where "chemical" means the bond between distinct atoms from the periodic table. Perhaps if the paper focuses on the effects of the "chemical" glucose in the digestive system and how it's different in a patient with diabetes, thereby stressing the FACT that sugar doesn't CAUSE diabetes, nor does avoiding sugar CURE it, and perhaps he can write about the misconception that sugar is a cause, and how "in olden days", the lack of understanding of the digestion process on a molecular basis lead people to BELIEVE that sugar (or lack of) caused/cured diabetes, but now that we UNDERSTAND better, we know it's not true.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

For what it is worth, my understanding is that; I do not believe you can develop T1 without the genetic propensity for it that you have from birth which may or may not be triggered to develop into T1 by enviromental or illness factors during your life. If you do not have the genetic code you will not develop T1 no matter what you are exposed to or what illness you have. I would work with my child to see that any adult can have wrong information and help him/her to present a project that is accurate no matter what a teacher might say, I frankly think the lesson in double checking what anyone might tell you is worth the process alone. :)Ali

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Metabolic syndrome, causing some cases of type 2 diabtes, can be caused by PCB, often included in plastic (like water bottles) and banned in Canada (but not the US).

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I do now remember that Agent Orange that was used during the Vietnamese War caused type 2 diabetes or was greatly linked to it, but that is the only chemical that I can think of. Here is a link. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/agent-orange-and-type-2-diabetes.html
    I am sure there are others.