- advertisement -

School assignment (vent)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andii, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Andii

Andii Approved members

So my daughter (8th grade) has an assignment in science, a project on diseases caused by exposure to chemicals. Diabetes is one of her choices. Of course she wanted to do this, so she asks her teacher what chemical causes diabetes. His reply: Sugar. Aargh!!!

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Get her to do the project with REAL facts to teach the idiot the right things. Start with
    Type 1 Diabetes IS NOT CAUSED BY CHEMICALS!!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh for pete sake! what a bafoon:mad: She should definitely do this assignment and prove this teacher wrong. Im sorry to name call but what an a$$! does he realize that your daughter has type 1 diabetes? and if so how can he still say something so dumb:confused:

4. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

it must be dumb teacher week. Brandi's whole class got in trouble in History because the teacher claims he told them their project was due today.

When the entire class claims you didnt tell them its probably the teacher and not the whole class forgetting.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Is sugar even a chemical ? (sugars we eat are polymers of glucose molecules as far as I know)
    I would be curious to know what the other diseases on the list are.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

And neither is type 2. I can't think of a single disease sugar causes.

7. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

tooth decay? I think that's about it.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

It probably promotes tooth decay but even that is a stretch

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

You're right!

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

REALLY??? You have GOT to be kidding! Definitely do the project and educate the teacher and well, I think you should also invite the entire teaching staff and administrators as well!! OMG!!

11. Andii

Andii Approved members

I should add that one of the questions is to give 5 ways to avoid exposure to the chemical. "Don't eat" is all I've got for that one. Seriously, I don't know what she's going to do. She thinks that since the teacher told her "the answer" she has to go with that (she's well aware that sugar doesn't cause D, thank goodness). I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous.

12. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

[​IMG] I was wondering what "chemical" would supposedly cause D but I never expected that dumb of an answer...... at least not from a teacher

[​IMG]

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Not being exposed to glucose - I am pretty sure that it incompatible with life. Is this a science teacher WTF ?:confused:

14. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

Diabetes Rising has a chapter on the possibility of type 1 diabetes being linked to exposure to persistent organic chemicals.

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Don't forget answering, not being born.........that would avoid exposure..........oh, and make sure the pancreas doesn't stop working...........I'd use the pancreas for all 5 answers!

17. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I don't know about her daughter's specific situation, but in Utah grades don't count for anything until 9th grade. I would do it anyway.

18. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

Disregard the "requirements" involving "avoiding exposure," but do bring up the fact that people THINK sugar causes it. If you think he might fail her for giving the "wrong" information, you could even source it (with MLA formatting and everything), even by just using this site as a general source.

19. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I would tell her to do her best and not to worry about the grade if the teacher disagrees with the facts.

Since we don't know what causes D, there could be cases that it is triggered by some sort of chemical exposure but even the scientists can't prove anything specific yet.

Avoiding sugar? Aside from don't eat it?.....run and scream if you see it..... I don't know!

20. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

My question to this teacher would be. "Do you eat things with sugar in them?" If he or she says "Yes" Then I would ask them, "Why don't you have diabetes then?"

Here is a link for your son to give to his teacher.
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

I would remind your son that teachers are human and they do make mistakes.