- advertisement -

School after stomach bug

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by curediabetes14, Nov 7, 2012.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

At what point do you send you kids back to school after a stomach bug. My daughter was in the er Sat night for a stomach bug. The past few days have been a rollercoaster as you guys know. I still have not seen the lows that will not come up. If she was not a diabetic she would be well enough to go back today, but I hate to send her and her drop and then they can't get her to come back up.

What do you guys do send them anyway or give it a day or two to be on the safe side?:confused:

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I have usually seen the lows from a stomach bug right from the start - I've not had it hit later. It is definitely a YDMV issue of course. Glad she is feeling better!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you haven't seen the lows, and you'd send her if she didn't have D then I would consider her well enough to go back to school. I might toss a few snacks in her bag and send instructions to test a bit more, but I wouldn't keep mine home in that situation.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Ditto. She's pumping, they can turn the basal down if necessary.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

24 hours puke free, as long as she has the energy to go. I would be in touch with the nurse or care giver at school and possibly check in during the day. Add a few extra snacks to the bag.

6. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Is she allowed to have a water bottle in school? I've sent my dd back to school after a tummy bug with a water bottle of Gatorade to sip on during the day.

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

I always err on the side of keeping my son home that extra day. I find it more stressful worrying about how he is doing at school and would rather wait until I know for sure that he is back on track.