- advertisement -

Scholarships!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jan 15, 2014.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

2. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My daughter received the JDRF Outreach Scholarship last year.

Diabetes Scholars is a great organization. Its so smart to consolidate all of the diabetes organization scholarships into one application. That way more CWD receive a scholarship. If each organization did it separately, its possible a few kids would sweep all the scholarships. They sure got the word out last year. Their director told me they had thousands and thousands of applications. Far more than they had ever seen. Probably the effect of social media.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Do I understand correctly that if a student starts at a local community college with the intention of later transferring into a university that they would be ineligible for these? Or if they chose a technical school that is only 2 years rather than 4?

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm posting this under my mom's account.

I'm 14, and I'm glad to know there are scholarships out there, especially because diabetes is an expensive disease. However, JDRF giving $3,000 for scholarships really bugs me. I'm glad they care, but they're also supposed to be working on a cure. I don't like diabetes, and I'm sure you can all agree. I want a cure. No, I'm not going to sit around waiting for it feeling sorry for myself, but I want that money I, and others, raise for JDRF to go into finding that cure. I can't fulfill some of my dreams because of having diabetes. I also don't want to worry about having retinopathy by the time I'm 50, or kidney failure, OR ANY OF IT! I'm probably over-reacting, but right now, I'm feeling very burnt out on diabetes. I usually feel extremely positive about living with diabetes.

More vent...I DON"T WANT SOME STUPID ARTIFICIAL PANCREAS. Sites still fail, I still have to prick my fingers. I read the blog and saw the graph pictures. Not to brag, but my control is better than that of a device. The bottom line is, I'M STILL DIABETIC. I want a cure. (Oh, and we can't forget that we'll have that cure in 5 years. Oh, wait. Someone I know got told that 30 some years ago.:mad:)

Sorry. I'm not usually negative, and I go about my normal, (Scratch that."Normal is just a setting on your dryer." -Erma Bombeck) okay, regular life with diabetes.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

JDRF has been pretty clear over the past few years that the organization has expanded it's mission to include, "cure, treat and prevent" Type 1. Many of us feel that the "Walk for a Cure" message is misleading, but there's no doubt, and it's public record, that much of the money they raise is going into work that does not directly support a cure.

My advice? If offered a scholarship, take it. If the bionic pancreas is FDA approved, try it. Look beyond JDRF as the great hope - just because they are the biggest, doesn't mean that they are serving your need. Try not to take it personally, even the best advocacy organization struggles with the contradictory goal of survival and solving the problem they were formed to address.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Plus, something like an Artificial Pancreas, or better insulins, or drugs to reduce the effects of excess sugar or insulin, are all great to have until a cure is found. Does not do you any good to wait for cure while having your health go down hill. I believe in working on both a cure and on advances that help manage the disease better. Cures are very very hard and often a long time coming for most diseases, so you need to work on both cures and better management drugs and devices for all chronic illnesses and cancers. Just my two cents ali

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Also some organizations, not sure if this is true of JDRF, have donors that donate specifically to scholarships. So it's not taking monies that were marked for research and given to scholarships. The donors specified that they wanted to sponsor a scholarship through JDRF.

I've been lucky enough to go to some research presentations and may take away was that while they are working on a lot of different ways to a cure it's just not easy nor will it be anytime soon. An artificial pancreas will be sooner and at least help with management until some of the research on cures starts to pay off.