- advertisement -

SCHIP BILL passes.....??? What does it mean for our kids??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, Feb 4, 2009.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Here is the article but I am not finding anything specific on what the income level should be (who do they cover?) and what benefits they are covering for the kids? They mention diabetes but just for type 2? Very confused. Does anyone here know something about this bill and what if anything it might mean for our kids and coverage of their diabetes supplies? Thanks!

http://www.forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/only-online/schip-passes-house

2. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCHIP

SCHIP is comparable to MediCaid, but for children. As far as I know, it only does something for uninsured children.
    I have a midterm to study for, otherwise I would look into this more for you. The wikipedia page covers all the basics pretty well.

Hope that helps!

Also, somewhat unrelated, but Forecast primarily focuses on t2. Sometimes they throw in t1 information, but the ADA doesn't do nearly as much as they want you to think.

3. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I can only assume this is what is/was called CHIPS here in Texas. My neice had it for a while when my BIL's job didn't offer insurance. It was based on their income, and they paid around $30 a month. I think it even covered dental, but I'm not sure. They still had copays.

Primarily, like it says, it is only for children, is not free like Medicaid, but much cheaper than private insurance. If you already have insurance, I don't think you can qualify.