- advertisement -

Scary scary. Reminder that Dex isn't perfect

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Mar 21, 2014.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Last night, around 1:30 am, I heard Hana's Dex alarm. I went in and it said she was 68, not too bad. I was going to just give her a juice box, wait a few minutes and go back to bed. But figured I'd better check with the one touch. She wasn't 68, she was 33 with .25 IOB! I gave her 2 juice boxes immediately. She woke up in the meantime and I noticed she was soaked in sweat and she said she felt horrible. I feared that with a 33 and Iob juice wouldn't kick in quick enough. I ran downstairs and grabbed the glucagon. This is the first time I've used it In an emergency situation. Only other time was when she was vomiting and couldn't eat so I just gave her a small one to stabilize. I didn't use the big needle though, just a syringe. She came up to 70s within 10 min. I also gave her a third juice box. However, the scary thing is that after 3 juice boxes and the glucagon, she never went over 125??? I was fully expecting atleast 300??? Not sure what happened there?

I will always always double check any lows from on.

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Wow. What was the alarm set at?

The most important line in that paragraph was "I heard Hana's Dex alarm."

quickly followed by

"But figured I'd better check with the one touch"

nice catch Mom!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Alarm is set for 80.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yah, I almost always wipe my dd's brow as I am waking her to treat a low or impending low, and there have been times that she is sweaty/clammy or is just "goofy". I will then actually test her to see where we stand.

Most of the times like this is we had a late dinner or are getting to bed late and the dessert bolus and the Lantus peak and her falling asleep late all coincide.

so I had=ve caught some 48-55's when dex said above 70, but there have been plenty of times dex has told me that she is below 55 and I test and she is safely above 80 with no IOB or Lantus to be peaking.

The take home is to not become too complacent with things and to "poke for pokes sakes" (might have to coin that saying)

5. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Yikes. Scary. But even though it was off - the Dexcom is what woke you right? So thats a good thing...

6. minniem

minniem Approved members

Scary. Glad she is okay and thanks for the reminder that the Dex is just a machine and we should double check out of range numbers with a fingerstick.

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

That parental intuition is a wonderful thing. I once woke up in the middle of the night and went to check my son's Dexcom only to find out that it had been showing ??? for the last 3 hours. I blood checked him and he was low! I realized in that moment that you can't ever trust technology completely.