- advertisement -

Scary Night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, Jun 29, 2008.

1. allisa

allisa Approved members

Hey all...warning...this is long.....I'll try to keep it short....

The other night my oldest had a meeting at the high school to discuss Fall Sports. Since this is his first year, we both went,....we have no clue how the Atlhetic Dept. works at the high school level.

We had all eaten dinner, and I was going to leave Ty and Erin ( she has Down syndrome & autism,non-verbal and needs a lot of attention) home alone....it would be only about 60-90 mintues and we were literraly 1 mile away at the high shcool.

I have done it before....Ty is actually a better sitter than most of my sitters !

Ty's blood sugar was a LITTLE low before dinner, but he had some tabs and then a full dinner....I did not give him his injection yet becuase I didn't want to risk a low while I was gone & figured I would give it to him as soon as I got home.

So half way through the meeting, I tried to call him & just check on them....but....no cell phone connection in the school.....so as soon as I got to parking lot I called and Ty answered....said all was okay, but he had a headache and Erin was being "crazy"....I said I was on the way home & I'd see him in a couple minutes.....

Got home at 7:15....so I was gone less than 90 minutes all together....all seemed well......gave Ty his shot, cleaned up from dinner, etc etc.....went to bed.....next morning after all the kids have gone to school, I am listineg to phone messages to see if I missed anything....and I hear......

" Hi guys it's Grady ( Ty's best friend). I don't know what to do, Erin is outside and I've been knockin and knocking, so I went in the house and Ty is asleep on the couch. I don't know what to do, so yeah........"

I had to listen to the message 4 times before I truly understood it.....

So I went over to their house ( he goes to private shcool and was done for summer) he tells me that he was playing basketball in our driveway and Erin came outside ( everyone in our neigborhood knows that Erin doesn't go out alone ) She RAN AWAY from him and he ran to the door to tell us.....well.....after no answer he walked in and Ty was asleep on couch. Grady had a babysitter for the evening, and she had NO IDEA what the heck to do, so they got another neighbor to try and help. So Dave, a very nice guy who is home trying to feed his 3 little girls while his wife is at work comes outside, gathers up Erin, brings her into the house and sees Ty on the couch.

He told me "TY looked all contorted and uncomfortable, there is no way someone would choose to nap in the position he was in" He woke Ty up and asked him if he was okay......Ty said he was, Dave said okay and went home to his girls.

So that is the story I got pieced from Grady ( the 10 year old ) & Dave after I frantically found his e-mail and begged him to call me.

He was very apologetic for not getting in touch with me....his wife was supposed to tell me that mornign and she forgot.....but I wondered....why the heck didn't Ty tell me :confused:

I was so upset by what could have happened and so confused as to what did happen, that I went to Ty's school and took him out of class to ask him what happened......HE DIDN'T REMEMBER ANY OF IT !!! So now I am even more freaked out !!

I looked back through his meter and realized that his blood sugar pre-dinner was 48....not 68......like he told me.....so he needed MUCH more tabs than I gave him. Even though he ate a full dinner, it wasn't enough to raise that low !

Dave felt terrible that he didn't do more.....he didn't realize that Ty's blood should have been checked right then & he needed some sugar FAST....but.....why the heck would he know that ...it's not HIS job to deal with Ty's needs....it's mine......

I felt like ( and still do ) the worst mom EVER. I'm terrified about what COULD have happened....if no one saw Erin leave the house...she'd be lost, Ty could have slipped even lower, lost consicousness, siezure :confused:

Thank God that were both okay....but....it really rattled me....

Thanks for listening.

2. Chaser

Chaser Approved members

Allisa,

I just wanted to sent a great big ((((HUG))) your way! You are a great mom! Raise your head high! Today is a new day and all 3 of your beautiful children are home with you!

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I'm so sorry that all happened. You have a lot on your plate, thank goodness for good neighbors.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm really sorry this happened. How scary!
    I hope Ty doesn't feel too bad about what happened.:( I'm sure he's a great babysitter.
    Anyway, I hope your spirits have come down some. All's well now.
    Maybe you could 'train' Dave and his wife, if they want? He seems like a great neighbour.

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

(((hugs))) glad everything turned out OK.

6. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Don't beat yourself up to hard. You have ALOT to deal with. I do like the idea of training the neihbors that want to be trained. It never hurts to have more eyes to help out MOM.

7. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Sending big hugs. You are a great mom! :)

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

That would be so scary! Try not to feel bad! There is no way you could have programmed that exact scenario to happen! I'm so glad that everything worked out in the end!

{{hugs!}}

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I am so sorry that this happened. At least you now have an opportunity to do a letting training in the neighborhood. We need others to be on alert for us.

By the way, I fully understand what you mean when you say that Ty is a more reliable babysitter for his sister at times. When you live day in and day out with someone, you can relate much more to their needs. We have a large family. There have been times that the 3rd child was more reliable than his siblings 4 and 6 years older than him. Age is not always the determining factor.

Of course, Ty may not be completely ready to be left to care for himself if he is experiencing unawareness of lows.

It is wonderful that all things worked out well this time. You have good neighbors.

10. musicjunkie

musicjunkie Approved members

I'm cyber hugging you...try not to worry about what coulda and focus on what didn't and try and do something fun with them.We all know you're a good mom:D

11. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I'm sorry this happened. It could have happened to anyone. My 10 yo is very responsible so I can see leaving him with a younger sibling. I guess one thing to do in the future would be to check his meter to see his history for the day before leaving him and his sister. I don't know that I'd do a lot of training of the neighbors but I'd ask them to tell Ty to drink some juice or eat something if he seems out of it. Going high when not necessary is better than going too low if they aren't sure what's going on.

Heather(CA) likes this.
  12. 3js

3js Approved members

Big hugs!!! I hope you are recovering! Don`t beat yourself up. There are a zillion scenarios for things that can go wrong: your son telling you a bg reading 20pts lower that it really was can be added to ALL of our lists! Thank you for sharing!! It is impossible to forsee EVERY single thing.

13. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I'm sorry that you had such a bad night. My younger son has developmental delays/sensory issues, and he is a wanderer too. If he gets outside, he does not understand the danger of crossing busy roads, strangers, getting lost, etc... I know how scary it is if he is outside without my knowledge (very rare). Both kids are not allowed to play in the front yard, and Connor helps make sure his brother stays inside or in the fenced backyard. I've also alerted the neighbors to make sure they bring him home if he ever "escapes". They know he's not allowed to come over unanounced for play dates. My babysitters are all trained to watch him every second, especially outside. It's hard to be the only one in our neighborhood who doesn't just send the kids out to play with each other, running from yard-to-yard. We are working with Grant to practice "Stop" scenarios as part of ABA. Safety is always our top concern.

I'm really glad that your neighbor stepped in to help. Maybe you could consider a mothers-helper to assist when you are gone? At least until you feel comfortable again. Training other willing neighbors in basic diabetic care would be great too - even just signs/symptoms and treating lows.

You have a lot on your plate. It must be really tough and overwhelming sometimes. You're doing a wonderful job!

Amy

14. susan

susan Approved members

I was telling my mom about this and she made an interesting comment..I know you said Erin was non verbal but do you think that maybe she realized something was wrong and she wandered outside to find some help..Even though she couldn't communicate with them, maybe she knew enough to know she needed to get someone to go in the house..Just a thought..

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

bgallini said it perfectly, I also think your a great mother, please cut yourself some slack:cwds: