- advertisement -

Scary news from my ENDO Clinic last night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Skyefire, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

While talking to my nurse on call about Phoenix, she informed me there had been 11 kids dx'd since Jan 08, not knowing that is a high number she then informed me that, that is the actual number of cases per year they normally have. :eek:
    Our Childrens hospital is one of the best in Canada, IWK health sciences center if the only childrens hospital for 4 Provences in the Maritimes Nova Scotia, PEI, NFLD and New Brunswick, so I am shocked that the number of kids dx'd this year is so high, Phoenix so far is the youngest in 08.

I wonder what is happening to have so many new dx'd, it has me worried:(

2. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

That does sound like a very high number. I'm from a small community there are 8 t1's at are school, Trey is the youngest at the school. It does seem like its happening more and more. What is causing all of the autoimmune diseases??? Scarey!!

3. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

I wonder if it has anything to do with the bad flu season we have had this year...

4. Skyefire

I am not sure what it is, they figure Phoenix started because of stress, they said it can be a huge factor as to when the body is going to stop working right. We had a house fire in Oct, where we lost everything, very stressful time for all of us, they figured that is what causes Phoenix to start the process.

5. skimom

skimom Approved members

That is a scary number - not to try and "outdo" you guys, My daughter was dx mar14 2007 at Alberta Children's hospital in Calgary and that day they told me there had been 23 new diagnoses since Jan 1 2007.(that is 1 every 3 days!!!) and that many of them were like my daughter, a sibling of another diabetic child...Life seems to gang up on us sometimes...

6. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

We have a friend that is a CDE at the Endo's office that my son sees. She has also shared with me that their newly diagnosed numbers are rising significantly. She even mentioned that they had 3 kids in the same class of a particular school diagnosed the same week!:eek: There definitely has to be a connection there! It is frightening to see the increase in new diagnoses.

7. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

well, I believe that matt already had a compromized ammune system being he had mono as a small child. However, he and another boy in the same school one grade apart were diagnosed 2 months apart. Looking at the map on the endos wall of diagnosis that the hospital we went to had per year, and only that hospital, not others included, so it isnt the whole state, its darn near epidemic proportions...

8. jendean

jendean Approved members

There are theoris about environmental causes.

Here is an article I got today

Diet & Health : General Health Last Updated: Mar 16, 2008 - 1:35:05 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin D cuts risk of type 1 diabetes
    By Sue Mueller
    Mar 16, 2008 - 1:34:04 PM

E.mail t.his a.rticle
    P.rinter f.riendly p.age
    Get n.ewsletter

SUNDAY March 16, 2008 (Foodconsumer.org) -- A new study in Archives of Disease in Childhood suggests that children who take vitamin D supplements may reduce their risk of developing type 1 diabetes later in life.

The study by researchers from St Mary's Hospital for Women and Children, Manchester showed children who took supplements were 30 percent less likely to develop type 1 diabetes compared to those who did not.

Type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin to handle blood sugar. The condition affects people at any age although many patients are diagnosed after age 20.

Type 1 diabetes results from the immune system destruction of pancreatic cells which produce the hormone insulin. Symptoms include increased thirst, increased urination, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and fatigue.

The study analyzed data from five published studies to examine the effect of vitamin D supplementation and found use of the supplements not only reduced the risk of diabetes, but also the effect was dose-dependent, meaning the higher the dose, the lower the risk of developing the disease.

Earlier studies found patients with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes had lower levels of vitamin D in their blood compared to those without the condition.

Low levels of vitamin D were also found more often in people with other autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Additionally, people in the countries where exposure to sunlight is less frequent have higher risk of diabetes.

Other evidence suggests that vitamin D may affect pancreatic beta cells and immune cells because they have receptors for the active forms of vitamin D.

All this means that vitamin D might have something to do with type 1 diabetes.----------------------------------------------------------

Yet another reason.... I dont know whether I like this one or not, but... who knows.
    Wouldnt that make all people in certian parts of Alaska Diabetic????

9. kodasmom

kodasmom Approved members

When my son was first dx'd on new years day 2008, there were 6 kids newly dx'd within 24 hours...the staff at the hospital seemed very surprised.
    We are also from a very small community, and have at least 10 kids in the area with diabetes. 3 of them were dx'd within 6 months time.

10. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

When my son was dx'ed in Jan of 2003, in the 2 weeks we were there they had 12 newly dx'ed cases.

11. Skyefire

We knew when I got pregnant that we where taking a chance, the reason being is my not only is my mom T1 and one of my uncles.
    Phoenix and Aiden have almost the genes, this might get confusing..lol

Anthony (my twin brother) and Dayna (Robert's Little Sister) are married and have 3 kids, Aiden is there youngest he is T1 dx'd @2

Robert(Dayna's older brother) and I are engaged and we have Phoenix, I also have Skylar from another relationship so lets hope she is in the clear.

So both of our boys where around the same age when dx'd

12. realsweety

realsweety Approved members

I have also noticed the rise in diagnoses.when my daughter was diagnosed in oct.the doctor told us that 6 children get diagnosed at our hospital every week.I was shocked.he said its happening like that all over the world.my mother in law wonders if its in the chemicals in the foods any more.hopefully whatever the reason ,that they find a cure soon.

13. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i tell ya, its in the foods we eat the air we breath. chemicals, toxins are in everything

14. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

sad. very sad. when my daughter in aug. of 06 was diagnosed. there were 4 others in the hospital at the same time. which they commented was unusuall