- advertisement -

Scary Low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaLibby, May 15, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

We were working in the yard this afternoon, when Ella comes to tell me she feels low, which surprised me because she was just at 270 half an hour before, so I have her test, and she's 80. She sat down on the couch and couldn't stand up again. She was pale, head bobbing, couldn't move off the couch, "limp" disoriented and slurring her speech at the worst of it (44) Scary!!

Turns out she gave herself about twice as much insulin as she needed because she thought her meter said 270 when it said 210. :eek: After 2 juice boxes and half a banana, she was still shaking, slurring her speech and unsteady so I used the mini-glucagon for the first time ever. It took about an hour all together to get her to a point I felt safe to leave her side. She had a bad headache the rest of the day and was scared/upset she didn't remember very much. :(

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Hugs. Hope she is feeling better now. :(

3. MamaLibby

thanks. She is...Sleeping soundly and coasting down from a wicked rebound now.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm glad she's doing better. We've only seen the slurring stage once, and when I told our endo I hope to never see it again, she told me, "You will." It was nice she wasn't blaming us, but also not what I wanted to hear.

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

:eek: :( So scary! Good thinking on the glucagon! I hate diabetes the most when I watch Olivia have a low. I hope you and Ella are both feeling better! ((hugs))

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

So frightening! I'm glad it turned out ok.I hope you are not a basket case now that it is over...

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Are you sure that was the reason for the low? That mistake would only mean an extra 0.6 units for my 8 year old, which would be treated with about 7 carbs. ETA: she must have already been dropping fast for the correction to get her to 44 in a half hour.

8. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Oh, how scary! So glad she is feeling better. Great job on the quick thinking regarding the mini glucagon! I probably wouldn't have thought of using it that way, but I might now!

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Actually we were surprised to see a 47 on Hailey's meter today and we don't even have a clue as to why! Thankfully she didn't have a bad reaction and I only had to resort to four starbursts. Ironically last Tuesday we were fighting large ketones! Its enough to drive you batty!:eek:

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is what I'm thinking, something else in combo with the extra 0.6u contributed to the massive low. We saw something like this last week. A gave herself an extra 0.5 by mistake, which would have caused her to drop a bit, but not significantly, but combined with the activity she was doing and the fact that she was dropping on top of it all made it a recipe for disaster. Luckily she was ok, but it wasn't pretty for a while.

Glad your daughter is doing OK now. The headaches after are a cruel follow up to those lows.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, this. Even Apidra is barely working in half an hour. I'd guess that either she was already dropping really fast or the first reading was false.

12. MamaLibby

I thought about that as well, after the fact...I think she must have already been dropping, or the first reading was off, or both. We'd lost her sensor to the warm-up period. And she had IOB from a snack about an hour before the low.

And yes, we're both having a better day today :)

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  13. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

So was she correcting the high, even though she'd just eaten and bolused an hour before? That would explain such a huge, fast drop.

14. MamaLibby

It subtracted IOB, but still it was poor judgement on my part to let her go ahead and correct.