- advertisement -

Scary low the other day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by calikid, Apr 26, 2011.

1. calikid

calikid Approved members

My daughter had a low of 22 the other day. It was shortly before lunch and she felt a little low so we tested her BS and it was 22. It really put a scare into us because only once has she been as low as 48. Her lows generally are high 60's and they occur after strenuous exercise. This time she was just chilling out and reading a book.

What is your child's lowest low?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My lowest meter readings were LO (twice on an aviva meter where LO means below 10, and once on a one touch where LO means below 20). All three times I was shaking quite dramatically but felt okay and was able to self-treat with glucose gel (I hadn't noticed the shaking. I think my mental function is quite adversely affected by the point that I start to have physical symptoms, so I don't notice them as quickly as I would if I was shaking so violently under normal conditions). I've had a few 20somethings. A 29 and a 23 during the night, and a 28 during the day. I only felt one of them (the 28).

In the first year I didn't really go below 50, but after that I stopped being able to feel lows and it all went downhill. I get far fewer very low lows when I'm using the CGMS.. I think the lowest I've been with a sensor on is 34.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My daughter had a 22 as well last summer.
    She had just finished a surfing lesson and her blood sugar was really high. I think around 300.
    Not realizing that the 300 was probably from adrenaline, I gave her a full correction. About 20 minutes later, we were stopping for lunch and she said she felt low. When we checked she was 22! Luckily I had a regular Coke (which I almost never order - always diet) and she drank that and she came back up.
    That is the lowest she has been but she has been in the 30s a few times.

4. madde

madde Approved members

I'm glad your daughter is ok...!

24 is the lowest I've seen. And that was about a year after diagnosis. We had left an appointment with her endo. and went to lunch. As soon as we were seated to eat, she started whining and crying saying she felt really, really, really shaky. I grabbed a juice in my purse had her to drink as I tested. I was terrified! Luckily she came up ok, and everything was fine. I have since learned that I despise the not so low lows that are stubborn and difficult to raise above 100. She has had about 5 of them over the past 7 years! Those are the one's that I have lodged in my brain to remind me why I test her bs so often...

5. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

Once at school, DD felt a little shaky and went to nurses office to test. She read LO on the meter which I think meant below 20. She was fine and really didn't start feeling bad until she was coming back up. The nurse called me just to let me know what was going on. I was freaking out waaay more than either of them.

6. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

Thinking about that incident, I remember now that when the school nurse called me on my cell, I was on the house phone with JDRF asking questions about smart insulin research. The girl I was talking to with JDRF was very anxious to let me go since she could hear my conversation with the nurse.....I just thought the timing was priceless.

7. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

In the past week and a half, my son has had 4 readings in the low 30s- lowest we have ever seen. They were very hard to treat...juice, skittles, glucose tabs...he would hover around 70-80, that's it! Josh always feels the worst right after he treats..

We thought his honeymoon was coming to an end, insulin needs had increased over the last month or two, then these lows occurred. After the first one, I made slight adjustments and tried to figure out what caused the low (carb snafu? Exercise? Too much basal?) couldnt figure it out. After the second and third, I said forget the tiny adjustments and decreased his basals dramatically...then it happened again and I changed carb ratios (dramatically). Yesterday was the first day he didn't have a low-but he sat in the 200s all day long:rolleyes:.....sooo, I inched the basal rates back up last night and he has been in the 150 range. I am going to play with his basal rates a bit more today..

8. calikid

calikid Approved members

Thanks for all of your responses. My daughter also has been waking up on the low end for the past week. That usually means high 60's to mid 70's. She would have a free snack (usually half apple and peanut butter) before going to bed and still wake up on the low side. After talking to her endo we switched her basal levels as well as carb ratio and this morning she woke up at 104. Hopefully the adjustments continue to work. :)

9. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

I've seen 19 (AVIVA) and it was quite scary. I'm used to lows (working on not seeing them anymore), so anything above 40 doesnt ruffle my feathers too much. Below 40 makes me quite nervous.

10. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Sorry to hear about your scary lows. A couple weeks after my son was dx he had a low and a seizure..it was extremly scary..I was trying to treat, I endend up squirting that glugose stuff in his mouth and was rubbing it in his check, finally he started coming around and then I checked his sugar at that time it was 20, i got him up and continued to treat. I just wonder what it was when it happend. of course I was on the phone with 911. We have never had that happen again...Thank god!! The lowest I have seen since then is 30...... Best of luck:)

11. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

We have had several below 30's with Wyatt. Unfortunately for him he does not feel them and has had several seizures due to them. I'm overly cautious when he's playing sports and make him check several times throughout his games. His are normally when he's just been goofing around with his brothers though, or is just waking up. Even after 5 years, it still freaks me out...not that I would let him know that.

12. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Mine was 32. I've only had 2 bg's in the 30's: 32 & 38. Those were pretty scary.

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

24 was the lowest Kaylee's been.. she was confused, but walking/talking.. tested herself and when she got the number she couldn't figure out what it was.

14. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

That is scary. We had a 25 once. It was fortunately in the middle of the day (Thanksgiving!).

15. calikid

calikid Approved members

That's the interesting thing. My daughter was just chilling out and reading. She felt a bit low but wanted to finish the chapter in her book before testing her BS. Lesson learned. As soon as you feel low, test your BS.

She is very active. She plays club soccer and runs cross country but has never been even close to this low before. I had to read the meter several times, thinking I was misreading it. Quite scary.