- advertisement -

Scared - suppose to start pumping tomorrow

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 7, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

I am concerned with Carolina's crazy numbers for her to start pumping on a Friday. The Endo. had told me when she starts that I am to send in blood sugar numbers daily. Well, the Endo. office closes around noon on Fri. Should we wait until one day next week?

The Insulet (OmniPod) Company is sending their nurse out to the house for training and pump start.

Carolina ate a snack around 10:15pm last night. Her sugar was 247. I had her to wash her hands and re-check. Then she was 260. I corrected her and covered the carbs. No new foods, pretty much the same as always.

Last night at 12:30 her blood sugar was 72. Gave her 6-8 carbs of whipped cream. Then she was 73 @ 12:47. I gave her 1/2 of 1/3 c. of low sugar orange juice about 5-6 carbs and @ 1:15 she was 85. By 2:15 she was 198 and felt comfortable going to sleep. Woke again @ 5:40 and she was 253. Maybe, I should change the correction factor from 12 to 14 before bed. I have done this before and she has been high.

It seems like so many people here has been dealing with highs and lows. I know the Holiday Season wacked out blood sugars, but Carolina ate nothing different.

The Endroc. increased her Levemir two days ago to 11u in the morning and 11u at night. She gets each Levemir around 8.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. diabetesgoddess

diabetesgoddess Approved members

There are always crazy readings so don't worry about that being a deterrent to pumping. Talk with your Endo about what he/she wants you to do about the weekend. I would think you should be fine on your own for a few days and that will give them a better pattern to make adjustments with.
    The pump will allow much finer corrections but will take you a bit to get used to. Something new is always a challenge but you will get through it. The pump will not be a magic fix but it may help make your lives a little easier and allow you to see more consistent control.
    Hang in there, breathe and I am sure everyone will do just fine.
    Oh and as for wacked out bg levels...we seem to have those everytime life gets normal :) Holidays, back to school, sunny days, the wind is blowing, there just never seems to be a good reason beyond the diabetes gods testing us and annoying me.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I have to ask, if she was low, why would you give her low sugar juice? Normally we would give about 4 oz. of regular juice followed by a protien (cheese stick, yogurt, frozen yogurt) to keep the sugar from dipping again.

What kind of whipped cream are you using? Generally, wc doesn't have carbs. However, if it's one that has a lot of fat or oils, it will take a while to process through the body, which in turn could slow down the spike.

As for starting, I would continue to do it. The numbers will litterally change daily. I would check in with the endo and find out what to do on the Friday they close early, they most likely will have you email the numbers in to the the person on call, same for the weekend. That's what we had to do.

4. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Don't be nervous! It will work out. Call your endo and see if they have someone that you can contact over the weekend if you have concerns or questions. I suspect that they do.
    Be excited that the pump is going to allow for so much more freedom. It's going to be great for your entire family once you get through the "start".

One suggestion I can make is to be completely honest with the rep about the normal food intake/bolus info they will ask you about. (This information creates the basal rate you start with) That will make things a lot easier on everyone!!

GOOD LUCK!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It will be okay. It's not like most kids on here who start the pump start at a time of complete stability and great blood sugars. Tell whoever is doing your initial pump settings that the current basal has her going low at night so that they can make an adjustment there. And also ask your endo (***psst, no "r" in "endo" ;)***) who you can talk to if you have issues over the weekend.

Pump start is scary, but for us it was scarier before the start than once we got him hooked up. :)

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

numbers are usually wacky after pump start anyway.. If you ENDO was worried about you starting on a friday, and their office being closed, they wouldn't have scheduled it like that.. there should ALWAYS be an ENDO on call if you have any questions.

7. Toni

Toni Banned

It will be okay. Our endo put the hourly basal rate a little lower than it should have been so she would not go low. You will be adjusting for a while. But the endo will make sure pump start is safe.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Approved members

I posted this same thing a while back. I was nervous and scared too, but here we are about 3 months later and boy oh boy it pumping W O N D E R F U L!!!!!!

Hopefully, in a few months, you will read a post where someone is nervous and be able to say the same thing.

Funny though' I have not posted much since, because.. pumping is so freeing compared to our old NPH/ Lantus/ Humalog we are not so "stuck" at home doing meals and shots and schedules.

Keep posting, lots of help here as you know.

GOOD LUCK!!

9. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Update

Started the pump Friday night around 7:30pm and Carolina stayed low until 5am. At 5am she was 161. I slept for two hours then she started coming down again. I did call the Endo. nurse on call and she changed her basal rate from .90 to .80. Nurse tells me to call her at 7pm in the evening because she will not make any more changes before.

Easier to handle through the day because of the frequent checks. Call at 7pm and nurse changes basal to .70. Continue fighting lows. Saturday night she goes to sleep around 3am now 112. Keep checking and feel comfortable to sleep at 6am when she's 200. By 7am she is 188, ok I can sleep a little more. I wake up around 9am to start preparing homemade biscuits and wake her at 10:15am. She checks her blood sugar and she's 83. I have to wait until 7pm again to call the nurse. I called her tonight and she changed basal again. 12am - 8am - 0.50, 8am - 8pm - .60, 8pm-12am - 0.50. We will see how this will go tonight.

I typed out blood sugars and how I treated for 48 hours and lost everything. This is the short version.

10. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Hang in there and enjoy pumping!

11. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Thanks for the encouragement Kristi.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Nothing to be scared about. The Omnipod makes things so easy!

As others mentioned, w.c. is not a great choice to raise bg. We use glucose for the most precise and fast acting reponse.
    Juice is fine too, but not as fast as glucose.

13. bbirdnuts@aol.com

So far so good with the Pod. Thank you Darryl for the added info.

14. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Looks like some posts have been removed. I have them printed and appreciate everyone's advice.