- advertisement -

Saw "LO" on the meter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

A couple of days ago, we got to see the dreaded "LO" on the Precison Xtra. Zach had friends from out of town that showed up mid-morning to surprise him and he had just woken up. He was a little grouchy and had no energy. His mom told him to check his BS and sure enough, "LO" pops up. :eek:

We got him juice and then fed him and he came back up alright, but the kid never did do or say anything more than he was still tired. D with a high pain/discomfort tolerance is not always a good thing.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Is he usually hypo aware?
    When I wake up hypo I often don't feel hypo like I would if I was totally awake.
    P.S. Bravo on handling that milestone with such aplomb.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've seen LO twice, definitely not a good feeling. The first time I saw it I was shaking a lot (struggled with the packaging on the glucose gel) and the other time I was totally unaware that there was anything wrong. The lowest I've seen other than that was 23. Anything below 30 freaks me out a bit, but seeing LO is the worst. Sorry he had one, but it sounds like you dealt with it great. :) The first LO I had, my BG shot up REALLY high afterwards. I think my body must have been in the middle of rebounding when I caught it.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

LO is a VERY scary thing to see on a meter! Glad things worked out!:cwds:

5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Yowsah! And do you keep a defibrilator handy for such moments?

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

yikes, that must be very scary!!

Kaylee is hypo unaware.. we saw a 24 the other day.. she couldn't figure out the number.. was confused, asked me if it was a 24 or a 54.. beside that we hadn't been lower than the 30s.. so she's never seen a 24 before..

scary stuff!

7. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Sloan had a "LO" at school last year. The nurse called me and didn't even know what that meant. At the time, his teacher nor nurse saw any symptoms. Looking back, the teacher said he was a tad bit pale with flushed cheeks, but he was up running around playing like any other day. He felt nothing.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

yikes:eek:
    Glad you tested when you did!!!