- advertisement -

SAT and ACT accomodations

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Jun 18, 2017.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson will be taking the SAT and ACT this fall for the first time. He has accommodations through the College Board from previous AP exams and that applies to the SAT but not the ACT I believe. He was allowed to have his phone with him for Dexcom alerts but never needed a stop the clock break. All of these previous tests have been at school with teachers who know him that proctor. Since SAT and ACT testing is not at his school and proctors don't know him, how have you delt with the phone, Dexcom, and low or high blood sugars? Lows can be treated fairly quickly, but what about a crazy high 450 blood sugar or something like that? Any advice?

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

If your child needs/wants the accommodation, request it. It doesn't matter if it is at his school or if the proctors know him. If he is given the accommodation, the proctors have to do it. When my daughter did hers, she took the test alone, no other students in the room, so they would not be disturbed if she had to stop. Call the college board if you have questions, they are helpful.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree with Kim's advice. Also, what Danielle did about the phone was she just used her old Dexcom receiver instead of her phone and that eliminated the phone issue.

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Call the college board!

I have to say again, just call them at the college board. They know about type 1; its not like they have never heard of it. Seriously, my child's school was completely ignorant. They had a lot more experience dealing with kids with learning disability/ADD type things. The person who dealt with accommodations at school was super concerned about us being able to prove her diabetes!?! Telling me I needed lab results!?! Which I guess proving your disability is more of an issue when it is a learning disability/ADD type thing. One call to the College Board & my fears were allayed.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My son just took the SAT in June. They told him they were more strict and did not allow his phone for his Dexcom. He left locked in car. He used his receiver instead. Not sure if I could have pushed it , but it would have been a hassle. My older son took SAT and ACT two years ago. We had to setup type 1 accommodations through ACT in addition to SAT. It was not difficult though.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

PHP:
    I agree, it wasn't very difficult. One thing I should have mentioned in my original post to Brenda was it is important to start the process early as sometimes there is a lag in communications or if issues do come up you want to have time to get everything resolved and set up. Good Luck!!