- advertisement -

s/o of 'when did you start CGMSing'

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jmcole1, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jmcole1

jmcole1 Approved members

I'm curious to know for those that were able to get approval from insurance do you have an HMO or PPO?

My dd17 never wanted one until now but we have an HMO and am not sure if they would okay it. I had to go through incredible hoops to get an MRI for myself. I guess the first hurdle would be getting the doctor on board.

JC

2. jmcole1

jmcole1 Approved members

I guess your all busy. I'll go somewhere else and ask.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I hit the "new posts" button but didn't see this one come up. A glitch somewhere maybe?

We have an HMO (Kaiser) and had no problems with the approval for a cgms but it did take many months. It wasn't that anyone said "no" along the way (that I could tell) - it seemed to be more like pushing paperwork and - believe it or not - getting the people processing it to realize it wasn't a glucose METER but a MONITOR! They actually seem to use meter and monitor interchangeably in their literature.

Do you have Kaiser? I know the CA Kaiser is approving them and so is Mid-Atlantic.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

United Choice Plus

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I didn't answer because we've had two PPOs cover our cgms. But later I found out Aetna and BCBS of Illinois were only administering our claims. It was my husbands company paying them and deciding my DDs cgms would be covered. BCBS of I PPO NEVER covers cgms for kids.

So my caution to people is when trying to look at other people's coverage, even with the same company and PPO or HMO, your plan details could be radically different or your company could even be self funded and make their own rules.

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We're on a PPO (BXBS of Minnesota).

7. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

PPO, Blue Cross Clue Sheild and they covered both the Medtronic system and the Dexcom system- when we switched to Animas pump they wrote letter of medical necessity again

8. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have United HealthCare, they covered it at the 80% normal rate. It was not difficult to get it approved, although the horrid DME supplier they work with often messes up the claims and they reject the sensors for a while until I spend hours on the phone working things out . . .