- advertisement -

Running suggestions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by melissajm, Mar 21, 2013.

1. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

DS joined the track team and they just started practices. He was told today that he will be running 7 miles tomorrow~around town....not at the school. I am trying to figure out how he can carry glucose and/or a snack with him. I would like him to have his phone too but don't see how!? Any suggestions?

2. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I wear a SPI belt and a jacket with pockets in the winter. I usually carry cash, skittles and a longer acting complex carbohydrate for long runs (I use Cliff's Shotbloks)

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

The Sports Authority by us carries Spibelts.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I use a spibelt. I keep my pump, iphone, and glucose gel in it. The spibelt is really stretchy and it really doesn't bounce at all. For just 7 miles I wouldn't be that concerned about having a snack but for any more then that you would want to stick in a granola bar or similar which you can easily fit.

I think I have posted this before but I will attach 2 pictures of the spibelt. It has 2 phones (iphone+ ems phone), pump, and a tube of gel in it. You can see how easy it is to hide under clothes.

5. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My daughter while running high school cross country and track uses one of those dual pocket pump bands by www.pumpwearinc.com. She always ran with her pump attached--practices go for 2 1/2-3 hours and I didn't want her unattached that long. In one pocket she kept her pump and in the other she would carry 6 smarties.

She didn't keep her phone or meter on her. Figured if in doubt, just eat a smartie. Of course she had something before run after checking her blood sugar and texting it to me.

Our distance team is never at the school!

Hope he has fun!

6. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

We haven't figured out the secret for long distance running yet. Matt generally gets an adrenaline high when running, but it quickly goes down after. We usually try to start him high (around 200) for a 3 mile run, knowing that he will finish at 350 but be down to 75 an hour later.

Our endo recommended that we try something new, and it has worked pretty well over the past two months for other sports (basketball, lacrosse). Next time he goes running, I think we will try to start him at 150, disconnect the pump, and let him run. After, we will put him on a 80% temp basal for 10 hours (as per our doctor), and we will cut the bolus by 20% on any food we give him within 2 hours of exercising. This plan has worked pretty good for other types of athletics, and I am hoping it works for running.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD is a runner. She just carries a couple of 300 ml bottles of juice - when it's cold in a pocket, and when it's warmer she'll just carry them in her hand. She finds the lows are more a concern after runs than during, as adrenalin/excitement keeps her BG up while running.. :cwds:

9. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll show DS. He decided that he should talk to the coach & let him know he is not comfortable running so far quite yet and that he would like to gradually build up to that distance. I told him I will talk to the coach if he wants me to but he is going to try handling it on his own.