- advertisement -

Rubbed Wrong Way by School Nurse

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jltr, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jltr

jltr New Member

Our 10 year old son was diagnosed with T1 in September. He's still in his honeymoon period, but doing well. We've had some recent experiences with the school nurse that have rubbed us the wrong way. On occassion, he'll have a piece of candy or cupcake with his class as part of a birthday party. Today, he happened to have a cupcake at lunch with his class and when he went to the nurse to get his insulin she wouldn't give him the adjustment or refigure the carbs to account for the cupcake even though he told her ahead of time. And she didn't call my wife until after the insulin was given. In these instances, she asks him "what he was thinking" eating those type of foods. It's difficult, as this makes him feel like he did something wrong. She doesn't seem open to making adjustments to his daily routine.

Has anyone else had these type of experiences? If so, how have you dealt with it?

2. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

That is terrible!!! My son was dx in Aug 10. Do you have a 504? She has no business not allowing him to cover his carbs with insulin OR criticising him for what he eats. How dare she endanger his physical health and hurt his feelings and thus endanger his psychological well being. There is zero reason he cannot have a cupcake with his class. I would go straight to the Principal and also contact the county or state School Nurse Liaison.

3. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

We often have changes in Janie's routine. It's laid out in her health plan and 504 how these changes are to be handled, and it's not a big deal at all. It's horrible that the nurse is making a big deal out of it.

If cupcakes are brought in for birthday celebration, Janie takes it to the clinic and they estimate. The clinic has a couple copies of CalorieKing on hand for this purpose. If it's something with carb info on it, Janie goes to the clinic to test really quick, boluses and is back in class. If her CGM has been accurate, she'll bolus in class if she has the carb info.

The nurse making a big deal out if is completely out of line, I think I'd have a talk with her.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh Yike!:eek: First of all, wanted to welcome you to CWD:) A few questions for you. Is this a public school that your son attends? If so, a 504 plan is in order for him immediately as well as a detailed health plan that the nurse must follow without question or judgement. My son attends public school and can eat whatever his friends are eating as long as the nurse is made aware of this and gives him the proper amount of insulin. What is the nurses problem here? Is it that your son isnt telling her before he eats these foods or because he is eating foods that she feels are innapropriate for people with type 1 diabetes? If it is the latter she needs to a great deal more training about type 1. Your son can have anything to eat as long as he gets insulin to cover the carbs

5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

It isn't the nurses job to judge what your child eats... it's her job to keep him safe and healthy but covering his carbs. If you want him to eat a pound of fudge, that's your business, not hers.... (not that your would be you get my meaning...)

I agree with everyone else about getting a heatlh plan and/or a 504 plan.

So sorry, and welcome to CDW....

6. jltr

jltr New Member

Thanks all for quick responses. He is in public school. We have not pursued a 504 plan, but have relied on the doctor's order to date. The little I've read about 504s, I didn't think it necessary for this. I'm looking into it now. Any resources you could point me to would be much appreciated.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The best way to deal with others, be they nurses or teachers or coaches or grandparents is to provide detailed, specific information. When it comes to nurses that goes triple. Every D family manages Type 1 in it's own way. It is the nurse's job to accommodate your child's unique needs as per the detailed health plan.

Be specific, be friendly, but be prepared to state in no uncertain terms that this is your child's plan, tailored specifically to him and that you expect it to be followed.

Good luck.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

9. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

hi and welcome. If I could offer you one bit of advice, it would be to get a 504 plan set up. This will protect your son now and in the future. In our 504 it states that my daughter is to be treated like every other child, is to be offered the same snacks at class parties and field trips and the nurse is to help her calculate the carbs she eats and give her insulin accordingly. It is not the nurses job to judge you or your son or dictate what he can or can not eat.

10. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Is your school nurse my mil??;)

Fight the fight! Good luck!

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Just wanted to add, I hope your son knows that hes done nothing wrong in wanting to be like any other kid in his class. He's done everything right, it is the nurse that should be asked "What were you thinking treating this child this way?:confused:"

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

100% completely unexceptable! Period. Its not the school nurse's job to decide what he can and can't eat, and what should be covered and not covered. If you are in a public school and don't have a 504, get one. I'd also have a talk with the school nurse about her place in your son's care. That place is to count ALL his carbs and dose accordingly. Its not hard to count the carbs. I'd also mention to her that you don't appreciate the comments on what was he thinking when he eats those things. Its up to you, his parents, and his endo, NOT HER. He's to be treated like any other kid, and if that means having a cupcake or piece of candy then so be it.

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

The nurse is wrong. Don't make it personal, as you may have to deal with her for a long time. Get the 504 in place, then call her on it if she fails to comply. She cannot *choose* how she wants to treat your child's diabetes.

14. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Her actions are totally inappropriate, I'm sorry your child has been treated that way. I think a 504 would help you greatly.

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

OH, HELL NO.

'nuf said.

This needs fixed.

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I have been very lucky, I have not had to deal with school issues much. But, in your situation I would have a meeting with the school nurse and explain things to her. The first time would be friendly but no nonsense if you know what I mean. The next time would be stern and then over her head I would go. JMO but when dealing with school stuff I think you should always try to fix it with the person, then go up from there... Have a chat with her, educate her:cwds:

17. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I thought she was my Mother. I guess the
    diabetes police are everywhere.

18. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I totally agree with this. Talk with the Nurse prior to going over her head, you may to deal with her for many years to come, so you want to be on "friendly" terms with her if you can. I think so many people are still stuck on this idea that diabetics cannot have any sweets, etc. (i was one of those people, too!:eek:) They are old fashioned in their thinking, they need to be EDUCATED (educate educate educate!!!). I would definitely educate her. There is that cartoon on youtube.com, someone maybe able to post it for you, maybe you need to send it to her after your talk with her! It's something like, what not to say to a diabetic! Anyhow, do get a 504 Plan in place.

Gosh, it makes me sad to think your child had to hear her say that, like a scolding...makes me so mad, poor thing!

Good luck to you, keep us updated, we are all here for support!

- Kathy

19. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

I totally agree that you need to talk with the nurse. We've had a nurse that we don't particularly care for for the past two years, so I can relate. But, you want that nurse to be your ally, so I suggest speaking to her. I have found that what works best for us is to be nice, respectful, but stern and make sure that she understands that you are the one who calls the shots with your child's diabetes. Communication is so important here. I think you let her know without any question that your child is to participate in every class party that they have. He is to eat what the other kids eat and do what the other kids do. He simply has to adjust his insulin for it. Period.

I would definitely address the negative association with party food with her. I would simply say that its extremely important to you that your child never feel guilty for having to give insulin to cover food. Whatever that food is. The other kids are making insulin to cover the "bad" food and your child is injecting insulin to cover it.

I would definitely talk to her.......just had a "talk" with our nurse about a month ago. I was furious when I found out about the problem, but I waited until I was calm......You don't want to get up there and rip her a new one. You don't want to do anything to damage the relationship. Try to keep her on your side.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Give the nurse a quick call and say, Hey Just wanted to touch base with you really quick to let you know that if ds adds something to his lunch you can use the same carb factor--just add in an estimate for the carbs or call us and we'll be happy to let you know how much to does for. Basically ds can eat whatever he wants, he just needs insulin to cover it, like everybody else.

Approach in a friendly non-confrontational tone since this is somebody who's help you need.

Also, I know dx was just in sept, but the sooner you kid can do his own shots and calc his own insulin the better, in a case like this. depending on age and temperament, the more he can do for himslef at schoolt he better.

And now for my 504 schpeal: YOU NEED A 504! In it you can say that he's allowed a cell phone to call you to get dosing advice. Then he won't even need the nurse. You can say that he can carry supplies and tend to his D needs where ever he is. You can stipulate that he has unlimited access to food, water, and bathroom. This doesn't sound like a big deal--until he's taking the SATs and they won't let him leave the room to pee! Right now everything seems fine and the 504 seems overkill. Well you don't want to wait until things become strained to then try to get a 504 together. You want to get it signed while everyone is still feeling amicable--like a pre-nup!!!! Nothing's a problem, unitl it IS a problem. He might get a teacher next year who's a jerk and won't let him leave to use tha bathroom because he went yesterday! That's not the time to start drafting this doc. Do it now when you don't need it so it's there when you do. End of schpeal. :D