- advertisement -

Rough endo visit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mollgirl, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

Well it turns out that Jason has not (for 1 year) been taking enough insulin. His A1C went from 9 to 9.6. We are now clear on how much to give him. I feel so crummy that there was this misunderstanding and my son had to suffer for it. He is to take 1 unit for every 10 gr of carbs plus his correction formula. I am hoping this brings down his #'s.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im sorry Linda that you had a rough visit. you can always come in here for advice too. I always like to sound things off on these guys when i want to change something. You may want to change endos if you feel that yours isnt giving enough support. Im sure the next visit will be much better:cwds:

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It happens. ;) Nothing to do but make the changes and move forward. No point in woulda, shoulda, couldas in D mgmt - just "now I gonna" :cwds:

Don't beat yourself up - if you're like me, there's a reason you didn't go to medical school;)

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Part of the point of measuring BG is to identify the need for changes if BG is out of range, and to make the needed corrections (daily) and changes to the insulin regimen (on a regular basis). Do you guys have a target range for BG? Do you log test results to see how you're doing compared to your targets? Do you correct when his BG is high?

An A1C of 9.6% (equivalent to average BG levels of over 260 mg/dL) is not the end of the world, but it is sure a wake up call.

Simply taking insulin at whatever carb ratio you have been given (now 1:10) won't be much better, if you don't have targets and regularly correct to achieve them and also log and assess how you're doing in meeting them and modify the insulin regimen if needed.

Good luck from here on in. You have your work cut out for you, but at least now you have a chance to turn this around.. :cwds:

5. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Sorry you had a rough endo apt. Try not to bring yourself down on the past. The past is done with and now you look forward to tomorrow and the days to come with knowing things are going to be better:cwds:

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I don't mean to call you out and make you feel worse, but why did it take a whole year to figure that out? Are you seeing an endo regularly? Working with a CDE or anyone else?

What happens if it doesn't? I'm worried for you both - not trying to judge :eek: Part of managing D is learning what to do when things don't work out perfectly all the time. If you need more help, just ask for it :cwds:

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

The amount of insulin can change a lot in a teenager. We have to change these ratios every few weeks, both up and down in our 13yo. Check his BG before meals, 2 hours after each meal, and at bedtime. You will find that most parents on CWD check at least 6 times a day - some test much more than that, especially if their child is in sports. Nighttime testing can also tell you a lot. Meet with your CDE who can go over the numbers and make adjustments or teach you how to make adjustments on your own. Consider a book such as "Think Like a Pancreas" to help you.
    Don't beat yourself up for the past, just do what you have to for the future.

Chuck

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

has the endo helped you learn how to adjust insulin on your own or are you relying on them to tell you what to change? Some things that I really find helpful in our treatment is to make sure I"m logging daily - it helps me keep a handle on when the bg's are starting to drift into high territory and allows me to spot any trends so that I can adjust insulin sooner. I usually have a good look at our logs every two weeks or so and make changes then if not sooner. :)

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

How much does your endo/team encourage you to lean on them for support? Some teams expect you to go home and do it all on your own. We were fortunate to have a ped endo who was willing to help us figure out frequent changes through the teen years. Good that you went today and you're taking steps to get closer to target.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sorry it went just ok for you. Don't beat yourself up, but use this as a learning experience.

Do you or your son download meter readings to chart any changes or patterns? I would suggest doing this.

Does your endo or cde help you in making dosage adjustments? We are lucky that I can send numbers to our nurse and she will suggest changes. For example, she picked up on a needed change that I was totally missing. It's great to have that kind of support. And, if you can't get it from your doc, you know you can always get assistance here.

11. buggle

buggle Approved members

Linda,

I'm sorry that things haven't gone so well. Did the endo address Jason's basal insulin? That's really important too -- just as important as bolus ratios. It might be worth learning how to do a basal test and getting his basal adjusted.

It doesn't sound like you've had a whole lot of support from your endo. Many parents don't learn much from their D team -- but that's the beauty of CWD. You can learn everything there is to know about D management here. Jason's old enough that he really needs to be learning how to adjust his insulin dosage himself. I don't think he needs the responsibility of it -- you and your husband need to be the ones who take charge. But Jason is going to be out on his own in a few years, so it could be a family thing to learn how to get his D managed better and Jason could pick up the good habits that will help him stay healthy throughout his life.

We're all here for you. I know it's overwhelming to deal with D day in and day out, and we all know exactly how it feels. How about logging some numbers and having everyone take a stab at helping?

When I get really upset about something like this, I feel very down for a day or two. But then, I pick myself up and get moving again. I think you'll feel better after you have some time to feel lousy. Please use the support and experience that is offered here. Everyone wants to help.