- advertisement -

Room for another?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sorcha, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

My name is Sue, and I've been a lurker on the boards for some time - I don't actually know why I've never posted before, because I certainly have questions and situations where extra input would be helpful! This is such a helpful place and I'm already enjoying being a part of things! :)

My DS is 6, and was diagnosed just after he turned 2. We started on MDI, and moved to a pump about 3 years ago. We're currently pumping with our Cozmo, but will be receiving an Animas 2020 in a month or so - we've got some time left on warranty, but want the chance to work with the Animas before we lock into a new warranty next year. It was a hard decision (gosh, is it ever easy???), but we're up for the challenge of learning a new pump...quietly mourning the loss of some of the features we love in the Cozmo, though!

We're doing so much better now than in the first year or so after diagnosis, but we (well, I!) still have really hard days now and again. DS is a trooper, but starting to enter the "I hate diabetes" stage we were warned would come....it's hard for him, and hard for me too because I'd give anything to take it all away.

Letting go (even just that little bit) when it came to kindergarten was hard - fall has me SO scared as we're now moving to all day schooling, and I don't know how I'll get over the fear of all the "what if?" scenarios that keep swirling through my head. It's definitely time for me to have a place where I can work through these fears and emotions, and I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you here. :)

It felt a bit odd posting away without a little intro, so thank you for reading!

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'm glad you decided to come out of lurkdome. :p I hope you just jump right in, so we can all get to know you.

I know that we learn to adjust to our children having this awful disease, but I can't ever imagine the pain or fear going away. I think that different stages that our children go through will cause us to be nervous and worried again. We're moving to a pump and I'm going to have to let go too -- we've been going into school to give insulin -- won't trust anyone else. Now, Brendan will be able to correct and bolus himself -- he'll have adult supervision, but no one at his school really understands D. Even though my hubby or I will be phoned about everything, I'm still really nervous about the whole thing. So, I can really understand how you're stressing about your little guy going to all-day school. The kids always seem to do ok -- it's us parents who seem to have the hard time.

Welcome.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Sue, and welcome to CWD.:cwds: I also found CWD very late - 4 years after dx. I hope it will be a great a comfort for you as it has been for me.

I've found that in general, school teachers and staff want to do the right thing by our kids and we just have to be willing to give them to tools and information they need to become, "part-time D parents". Good communication goes a long way and most people in education can master the basics of care. ;)

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums. :cwds:

4. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I found it 9 years after diagnosis...I must be the worst late comer!!! Welcome! I've learned a lot, even though I had tons of "experience"

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Sue, Welcome aboard! My son Steven just finished his 2nd year of all day school. I remember being so scared when he was going into preschool the year after dxd then being nervous when he went into 1st grade but fortunately the nurse at the school is great and Steven knows so much about diabetes and really feels comfortable discussing it with people. Your son will do fine in school all day, just make sure that all staff members have a copy of a simple health plan. Do you have a 504 plan for your son? If its public school he is entitled to one. Its a good thing to have just to let everyone know what his needs are and that they are met. Steven hasnt gotten to the I hate d stage yet, hes a busy kid and doesnt let it take up too much of his time.

6. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

Thanks very much for the welcome, and sharing your thoughts on school. We had a positive experience with kindergarten, but there's such a difference between only a couple of hours and all day!

As we're in Canada there's no 504, but rather a care plan that we outline with the district nurse before the start of school. The plan last year was followed per our instructions, but we do have a few kinks to iron out for the fall. Really, it's one of those situations where, intellectually, I know that things should be OK.....emotionally, though, I worry constantly about every scenario that *could* happen. It doesn't help that I'm a worrier by nature!! I try to look back, though, to 3-year old preschool, and remind myself of how far we've come with letting go - this year will be challenging I'm sure, but hopefully after it things will become easier.

Part of my issue is that DH and I are really the only ones who look after DS - in the 4 years since dx, I can count on one hand the number of "date nights" we've had. This is something we're working on changing - for our sake AND DS's, we need time apart from each other from time to time. It's not easy to let go, though!!

I predict this year will be one of growth, for all of us, and that we hopefully come out of it with more confidence and a slightly less rigid attitude.

7. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Hey Sue! Welcome to CWD! We're excited you're here with us and welcome your questions and your insight! :)

Letting go is one of the hardest parts of D I think. I hope that you have great staff at your school to help with the transition. It will be okay, and if it's not great at first, you'll make it better! :)