- advertisement -

Roller coasters and pumps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My 15 year old son is going to Six Flags on a field trip riding roller coasters for physics class. He is on the 530g. He also still has an Animas Ping he could wear too. This will be
    end of April so I am not sure if any water rides this is for physics class. Does he need to disconnect? I am afraid he will forget. He forgets to bolus at home.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Animas says yes to disconnecting on rides with sudden drops, MM does not.
    We have one who wears the Ping, on who wears the MM. Both forgot to take them off for a coaster and had no issues.

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Animas says to disconnect for any drops that put g-forces on the body. Since it's a physics project, my assumption is they'll be doing rides with g-forces. Just have him disconnect for those. My son just disconnects from the pump from the start of the ride and reconnects when it's over -- he does NOT suspend. Just disconnects.

The other thing to be cautious about is rides that use magnetic induction for the launch. (These are usually rides that have a super-fast start, like Rock'n'Rollercoaster at Disney World." The magnet can cause problems or damage the pump, and some manufacturers recommend not only disconnecting but having someone standing far from the launch area hold onto the pump until the wearer can come back to claim it.