- advertisement -

Right time for pump for 2 year old?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by fiaz, Jan 4, 2012.

1. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

Hello, I was just wondering if anybody had experience with pumps for really young ones?

1) Will the pump be too "heavy" and "intrusive" is my main concern
    2) She is currently at 3 injections a day, and thank God, she will barely wince most times. With the pump, I understand we inject once in 3 days. So, my question is if it is worth it if the little one is handling injections okay for the most part.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Those parents with pump experience can better answer your questions, but I just had a small comment. I would not only look at how she handles injections, but how do you feel her overall diabetes managment is going. If you feel things are being managed pretty well on injections, why mess with that?

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I don't have one that small, but it depends on your goals and needs.

On pump you can do more specific basal increments, and you can tailor it to the needs of the child. For instance my son has a strong overnight rise, so a 24 hour basal like Lantus wasn't right for him. On pump you can tweak basal hour by hour, and make little changes to match their physiology.

If you child likes to eat/snack a lot, the pump is great for that.

The pump is good for sick day management, you can increase or decrease the basal, which is not possible with a long acting.

MDI is a great way to manage diabetes, so if it is working for you, pumping is not an end all/be all. It's just another way to manage. For my son it is superior because of the above.

I have not had a toddler with diabetes so cannot really comment on your concerns so hopefully others will chime in. I know there are some really cute/cool pump packs they can wear. There are also tubeless options.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

William was dx'd at 26 months and was pumping by 32 months - so he was still 2 years old when he started pumping.

I would have started the pump immediately if it were up to me. The MAJOR reason I can think of for starting now when your child is so little is that they will grow up with that always being a normal part of their life. William doesn't ponder his life before the pump - and it seems natural to him. He is really comfortable with his pump. As long as YOU think it is the best option for your child at this point - then it is the best option.

It is also wonderful for those toddler years when they are exploring the world - and their food choices - and might want to try a bit of food or have a very small snack. You can bolus for 3 carbs or 5 carbs or whatever. You can bolus for a marshmallow - and then bolus again 2 mins later if they have a 2nd one. You don't have to say no because you don't want to give a shot. The flexibility for a little one is fantastic.

He liked the pump shirts where the pump is on the back in a pocket - out of site and out of mind for the most part.

5. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

James was pumping by the time he was 2. For us it worked because he was a frequent eater :) it allowed us smaller basal and bolus amounts. It gave us much more freedom. For us the pump really works and it has become a part of his body that he doesn't even notice it's on him. Everyone is different and good results can be achieved by pump and mdi.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My youngest son was 23 months old when he went on the pump. My older son was 4 years old. My young one hated shots that is why we first went on it along with more snacking flexibility.

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

My grandson was diagnosed at 2, on the pump at 3 1/2. He handled the shots okay but it was so much easier to tweak his insulin to match his daytime/nightime needs with a pump. And it gave enormously more freedom for him to eat whenever he wanted rather than worry about needing another shot, etc. If we did it all over again we would have started him even earlier.

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My son started pumping a few days after his third birthday, and it has been great for us. Reasons:

1. Little ones are unpredictable eaters, and so we can bolus 1/2 up front, then wait to see how much he actually eats.

2. Conversely, if he wants seconds or thirds, we can do it without a second injection.

3. For us, every carb requires insulin, so there is no possibility of an uncovered snack. The pump allows him to snack when he needs or wants to (within reason) without having to constantly inject him.

4. It is much easier to get the pump to give a 0.050 correction or a 0.375 bolus than to try to do the same with a syringe. For us, it means greater control as we are not constantly giving him a bit too much or a bit too little insulin.

He hated it for 24 hours, disliked it for 72, and has ranged from loving it to being indifferent since then. We have not had issues with him pulling it off, it is not too heavy for him, and he rarely gives it a second thought. We put it in a pump pack around his waist, and it just lives there.

It has absolutely improved our quality of life, but I recognize that for many people, MDI works as well or better. It is really up to you. If you are willing to try something different and handle the new learning curve, then I say you should go for it. If you or she decide it is not working, you can always shelve it and go back to shots.

9. climbn_mama

climbn_mama Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 2 and we had her on a pump within a few months. I would not trade it for the world! It has allowed us to manage her diabetes with much more precision and control. She never really had any issues with it being bulky or in the way. She is now 6 and its just a part of her and she feels "funny" when she doesnt have it on, lol. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

10. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

William started pumping at 27 months. For us, this was the best solution to get him insulin at daycare. It is also nice because William likes to graze. Basal insulin can be more easily adjusted for different times of the day. We change William's sites every other day, but a little numbing cream and he could care less. William very quickly realized he was not getting shots every day and took to his pump like a fish to water. The pump is no more bulky or heavy than a pager. For us, this was the best diabetes related decision we have made.

All that being said, MDI is less expensive. Many manage diabetes well with MDI and a pump is not a requirement. Some kids do not want anything extra attached to them all the time. Some kids actually manage diabetes better on MDI than a pump. A pump does have it's downside and frustrations as well. Some people say that starting a pump is like learning diabetes all over again. I admit that William had a rough pump start and it took time to get all his different basal rates and insulin: carb ratios correct.

11. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

Thanks so much for the comments. Our Endo would like us to understand the numbers and doses for a while before we get started on the pump. We will ask him if it's "time" yet when we see him this month.

12. Leece

Leece Approved members

Love Love Love the pump. My DD was Dx at 10 months old and at 12 months we had a pump.