- advertisement -

Review of MySentry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

GRRRrrr. . . I love the site and love DuBois writing, his books and his contributions to DMine. However, I think he grossly oversetimates the "revolutionary" aspect of this "new" technology and underestimates the outrageousness of the price. I said as much in my comments to the article:

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ha! I thought that was you, LOL! :p

I also think the price is ridiculous, especially since it is a very tough sell to insurance companies. I do think it is groundbreaking in that it is the first step toward the holy grail of beaming CGM readings to my phone screen. With the FDA being so bloody staid and incremental, I almost think we had to have a "MySentry" before we got to that point. I've noticed that in a couple of interviews lately that MM officials have mentioned this new "connectivity" goal that they have, and I'm encouraged by that. At this rate, nothing truly groundbreaking will probably be here in time for it to be of much use to me, but I think of how awesome it will be for parents eventually to be able to get those readings on their phones. The first CGM company to do that is going to (literally) destroy the competition.

4. denise3099

lol--I'm predictable. :eek:

I just don't find this that different than the navigator for those who got awesome range. And they could carry the nav around rather than have the Sentry plugged into the wall. Not saying it doesn't look awesome--that pic is gorgeous. But all it is is a reciever with better range than the gardian thanks to a booster. For 3 grand? C'mon. . . when you consider the price of the actual cgm, 3K is just deplorable. And another bold line in D care between the haves and the have-nots. Ok, I think I need therapy or something--I sound really bitter. :p

5. hawkeyegirl

Oh, it's not much better in practice. Don't get me wrong. But I think that when it comes to the FDA and FCC it IS different, incrementally, and the FDA appears to be alllllll about incremental progress these days.

And again, I agree that the price is absurd. But I suspect they're losing money on it even at this price. To my knowledge, no one has turned a profit on CGM yet, and a device like this (that likely will not be covered by insurance) with such a niche market is a loser, money-wise. BUT it gives me hope that at least one company is hearing us parents when we scream "Beam those readings to my PHONE, morons!"

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

Out of the whole thing - I think this is the most important part of the MySentry.

I actually didn't realize that the person had to be within a few feet of the "repeater" or whatever - so it won't work for a kid who is running all over the house - or outside. Our old Navigator picked him up ALL over the house - and even out in the yard. He could wear the receiver or just set it in the house when he was home and problem solved.

I definitely got a laugh out of his statement: "And second, if nothing else, for many parents of type 1 kids, Medtronic just introduced the cure for the epidemic of grey hair and sleep deprivation that plagues them."

What???? Seriously? I will buy a MySentry today if I can guarantee that William will not go low or high at night and the thing beep and wake us up - and we have to go in there to do something about it. I think for most parents they end up sometimes testing or treating MORE in the middle of the night than less.

7. denise3099

I did sleep better once I got the gardian. But you are so right, I did not sleep MORE. In fact I was up A LOT more b/c it kept beeping. Stuff I didn't even know about before, I now had to fix. This is NOT the greatest thing since insulin!!! (I couldn't even blieve he made that statement :eek: ) lol.

Yes I need a remote control that allows me to know bs and everything else in the pump and lets me dose, correct, change setting etc, all from afar!! :p THAT would be worth 10 grand!! :D

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Another parent of a CWD said Medtronic is no longer offering the Guardian and Revel together as an option.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

They do not need to offer them together, do they? As long as insurance or parents are willing to pay for both, they can be ordered separately (even if they are ordered at the same time). Or am I missing something?

We got the Revel in May 2011 and had no problem ordering the Guardian in December.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

I agree with all of the above. I just feel like we're being asked to pay this huge amount for something that really just fixes a bad design of the revel - the volume; and a bad design of the guardian - no range.

I still would like to try to get it covered . We have a problem with highs at night which seems like the opposite issue of others but which seem very particular when it comes to fixing them. So I chase highs all night, not lows, and that's what we use the CGM for mostly - to be able to bump up basals enough and for the right period of time. It requires that we watch the CGM a lot. Mysentry would seriously help with that. My son hates that we're looking at the CGM at night, and that seems to disturb him more than extra bg checks. So I wonder if I could be playing that angle, that we're trying to avoid long term damage due to highs.

11. denise3099

MM will not offer it or even ask what you want when you order cgm if you have a revel--they will just assume you want the paradigm package. In fact, they will even ask you why you want to carry around 2 devices and some reps will even tell you it doesn't work together! They are wrong. You have to be clear that you want the gardian cgm. You can explain why, or if you're tired, you can just say you want to be able to use it even if you change pumps down the road.

BTW, when dd's revel was fried by an MRI, I was so glad I had the gardian and could still use her cgm while we wated over a holiday week end for her new pump.

12. hawkeyegirl

I'd be astonished to find out that Medtronic would turn away a person who wanted to pay for both units. To my knowledge, they have never offered them "together." You always have to request the Guardian or they will assume that you just want the transmitter if you already have a Revel.

Carol, I've read that the range of the outpost is in practice much, much greater than the 6 foot "official" range. There have been a couple of posters on here who have said that it picks their child up when they are playing outside.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

If that happens...I may actually buy a SmartPhone!!

14. hawkeyegirl

Hee. That might be what gets me to buy one too! :D

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

LOL, well it would be much cheaper than the MySentry...

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

Good to know - it is a major benefit to be able to see their number when they are running around the house - without asking them. Now that William has a Dexcom I really dislike asking him his number - and arrow. We definitely miss some correctable highs cause he ack's them without telling me.:rolleyes:

I guess we sleep with more confidence that problems will be caught by the cgms - but we don't sleep better - generally. I was up 4x and my husband was up 4x last night - seriously. This is when the cgms is invaluable because we were fighting lows (really unusual persistent ones). In the past even testing 2 or 3x a night wouldn't have shown us all of the problems he was having last night. Baseball season always messes with us.