- advertisement -

Revel Pump Users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

For those of you that use the Revel pump, have you noticed any trouble using the 1.8ml reservoirs verses the 3.0 reservoirs?
    Abby recently upgraded to the Revel pump, and her insulin needs don't require her to use the 3.0 reservoirs, so were still using the 1.8 reservoirs in the Revel... but her blood sugars since starting the Revel pump have been HIGH. I've changed sites, location of the site, raised the basals, and changed the vial of insulin. I'm wondering if it's the reservoir:confused:. I know 9 times out of 10 it's not the pump, but I'm left scratching my head. It's been a couple weeks, so I know she's not getting ill. Abby is only 10, so it's a little early IMO for puberty.

2. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

When I switched to the Revel from my 722 I had issues with high blood sugars. I have always used the 3ml reservoirs though. I also have the CGM and within 3 hours of switching from my 722 to Revel my blood sugar started creeping up and stayed that way for about a week or so. I did everything to try to bring it down, I raised my basal rates, used temp basal rates, gave extra corrections, gave extra insulin with boluses and nothing seemed to help bring it down. I was certain that it was something with the pump since my blood sugar is pretty consistently between 80-110 throughout the night and after switching to the Revel I was running 170-190 at night. I called minimed and they trouble shooted everything they could try, I was on the phone with the rep for over an hour and she basically told me that my pump was fine. I told her that I was uncomfortable using the pump because I felt that something was wrong with it and that was enough for them to send me another brand new Revel, not a refurbished one... this was because it was within a month (I think that is the timeframe) of purchasing a new pump. Since getting the replacement new Revel my blood sugars have been back to normal with my original settings. Hope this helps :)

3. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I may be wrong but I thought the pumps were actually different when they used the 3ml reservoir. This is our first pump however but I thought it was a totally different pump for the smaller reservoirs. I remember the pump actually looking smaller as we were deciding which one to get and went for the larger one. I may be all confused though as our pump class was over a year ago.

OK, found my own answer...the FAQ talks about two different sizes of pumps. Both Revels but one is smaller and the 722 takes either size of reservoir so that must not be the problem.

http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/products/otherpumps/faq.html

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

sorry ^^^^ makes no sense. I am thinking of the wrong pump. Please disregard and hope you find answers.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use the 1.8 reseveroirs in the 723 pump because we have plenty of them and she doesn't quite need the larger reseveroirs yet.. we see no problems with highs, except when her site is on her backside.. then bgs are a mess. We actually saw a lot of lows moving to the revel because now it was giving .025 dosages instead of .1 or .05.. did you change that setting at all? I think it comes with factory setting at .1.

6. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

My DS uses the 1.8 reservoirs & I haven't noticed anything since switching to the Revel. Maybe try a different lot # of reservoirs and/or infusion sets to see if you notice any difference. Could just be coincidental timing that her insulin needs are just bumping up now not related to the actual pump.

btw--nice to see you on CWD :)