- advertisement -

Request to Participate - Moderator Approved

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JenniferFay, Jun 15, 2013.

1. JenniferFay

JenniferFay New Member

Recruitment Posting​

To Children with Diabetes forum members,

Hello, my name is Jennifer Levin and I am graduate nursing student at DePaul University in Chicago, IL. I am completing a research study as part of my program and am under the supervision of advisor Dr. Kim Amer (kamer@depaul.edu) from the School of Nursing at DePaul University.

For this study, I will be examining what types of information sources parents of children with diabetes type 1 use and how valuable they perceive those sources to be. This study is open to anyone who is 18 years of age or older, the parent of a child with diabetes type 1 who is 17 years old or younger, speaks English and currently resides in the United States.

If you agree to participate in this study, filling out the survey at SurveyMonkey.com will indicate your agreement to be in the study. The online questionnaire consists of 61 questions. The survey should take about 10-15 minutes to complete. No identifying information will be collected and your responses will be kept anonymous. You can access the survey by clicking here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8CZJ9PN. You can stop the survey at any time once you begin. At DePaul University, study results will be analyzed and discussed in a research paper that will be available to you upon request.

Please find the link to the study below:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8CZJ9PN

Permission to post on the Children with Diabetes forum was received from the CWD editorial team prior to posting.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jennifer Levin at jenniferfaylevin@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely,
    Jennifer Levin

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Good luck.

I am a person with type 1 diabetes, over the age of 18.

I am forced to enter information about "my children", which I do not have, including the age and sex.

You need to edit your survey to fit all circumstances of families and people with type 1 diabetes. This would also include families with multiple children with diabetes.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I entered it for one child, but being able to enter data for multiple would be nice, in case you make any changes in your next survey :)

4. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Having recently just done a research study myself, I'm thinking that the OP had to pick controls. The "rules" are such that the person filling out the survey is a parent of a diabetic, and you only need one child. I know when I did my surveys for my research, I had to throw out several paper surveys from people who did not answer the questions exactly as stated. Like they circled two answers instead of one. I couldn't use their data. If you're not a parent, while you probably have great thoughts, you wouldn't fit into the "controls". Likewise, if you have multiple kids, the OP might have trouble making a graph of parent and kid data.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I read it initially as being open to adults with diabetes as well, but upon re-reading, she only wants parents of children with diabetes participating. The "over 18" part was saying the parent has to be over 18.

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think maybe I am reading things differently than you did, Moco89, but it seems clear to me that she is looking for parents!

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

She is looking for parents of a Type 1 who is younger than 17. This forum and the website got me through the challenges of parenting a Type 1 from 1997 until today.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

It's easy enough to run through.

Three things that made all the difference for us:
    - excellent initial training in Germany;
    - reference texts
    - the CWD website and forums

:cwds:

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Having to do way to many research studies, my opinion is that this one is easy to fill out and really gets to the meat of the matter - what resources to T1 parents find useful.

Thanks! Hope my answers help! I like this from a purely quantitative study and that you didn't ask me for additional qualitative information. Just the #'s - feels like how I live my life now :cool:

10. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Completed. It was actually enlightening to consider from where the vast majority of my information truly comes.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

From a research aspect, seeking respondents from here probably skews the data towards things like CWD. I hope they're also finding people at endos' offices, etc. who don't frequent websites, books, etc. I once had another parent tell me "I don't read about diabetes." Ten years in, they still rely on their doctor for dose adjustments. If only the CWD population is surveyed, it will miss a portion of the population that needs more information.