- advertisement -

Repeated occlusions - sure Ts or apidra?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Oct 24, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I have noticed this about the tubing (although I think I started noticing it before I started to get problems - not sure though).

I'm going to call Medtronic tonight, when I get home and have a working phone. I had another no delivery overnight which resulted in a BG of 464, ketones, 3AM set change (everything I hate about diabetes ;)). Definitely something not right here.

2. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Sorry Emma I feel like I jinxed you :( but this is exactly what we saw when we switched to Apidra - we had never gotten a no delivery prior to Apidra. When I searched on here I found some threads with the same or similar issues and immediately switched to the Sils. I would love to be using sure-Ts - he could change them out himself - but the benefits of the Apidra trump the Sure-Ts at the moment. If we ever switch back to Humalog then we'll switch back to Sure-Ts. Let us know what Medtronic have to say as I never called them. I hope you find a solution.

3. Chaser

Chaser Approved members

Chase has been having no delivery alarms as well. About 2 months ago I asked Medtronics to replace his pump as it was continually happening. Pump replaced - still getting the occasional alarms. He is using Apidra and the Sure-t's.

He just had one over night Monday. BG in the 400's and large ketones - vomiting. Kept him home from school and numbers were good by 10am.
    Current sure-t lot is 4263581.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thank you SO much for all the information! I'll definitely look into trying some other sets if Medtronic aren't able to help (i.e. if new Sure-Ts or Sils don't solve the problem). The study about different insulins and occlusions is also very interesting. I really appreciate the insight that you have given on so many things on this website! Thank you. :)

5. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Tomorrow Jacob will be starting a trial run with the Revel and Sure T's and Apidra. It will be interesting to see how that goes now that I have read this informative thread.

The rep called today to confirm the appointment. I told her I wanted Jacob to use the Sure T for an infusion set since he uses the Rapid-D now. It's nice to know that the Orbit Micro PRO is also out there as a possible option (thanks Moco!).

Jacob has really not had too many problems with occlusions with the Rapid D and Apidra. He has had them once in a great while. That being said, his site can go from working fine to poor absorption very quickly and then his numbers go up, up, up. The fix is to change the site. We still can usually get three good days though.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Some thoughts. First change out the box of Sure Ts you are using. Second if you do not already do this try changing out your set every two days or two and one half days. Third really watch for bubbles when filling the reservoir. Fourth it may be that your child is reacting quickly to the Sure Ts in terms of an immune response or to the insulin(apidra) and you may need to first switch out the set type and then the insulin if that fails. Good luck. ali

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

I do wonder if our body responds with a negative immune response more quickly sometime than others. I think this response may happen with all sets and all insulins some of the time but with Apidra you see the results very dramatically and quickly due to the short action time of the insulin. Just some thoughts.:cwds:ali

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I couldn't get any good consistant numbers with apidra, but ask the pump company about the Sure T tubing.