- advertisement -

Removing pod for sports???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Dec 12, 2010.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Just received the info for wrestling, of course it comes one day before practice begins. Practice is Monday and Wednesday 6:45 - 8pm.

My original thought was to go back to Lantus as a basal and use the pod on off days for boluses, I am now rethinking that. I know traditional pumpers remove pumps for extend periods due to activity, which leaves no basal for that time frame. I am thinking this is what we will do for wrestling.

We would remove the pod just before practice 6:30pm Monday, put a new pod back on after a shower at 8:30pm Monday, and do the same thing on Wednesday. I will deal with meets once they begin, which probably wont happen until after the holidays.

So what is the best way to make up for missed basal? His basal is .5 during practice time and changes to .6 at 12am-4am.

2. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

We don't have the pod. We disconnect for swimming. If we feel he needs the missed basal for an hour we bolus thru the pump right before disconnecting. I am not sure how wrestling affects your sons blood sugar. Can he go without the insulin since he may be burning off some of the sugar? or does he get adrenaline highs? Can he reconnect during brief periods when he is not wrestling to give him missed basals or give him a shot?

3. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Are they not allowing the pod to be worn during practices? When my daughter participates in contact sports (like basketball :) - yes, it gets rough) she typically puts her pod on her bottom just below her belt line or on her stomach below her belly button then she wears a pair of compression shorts to hold everything in place. She has a "sports" setting with greatly reduced basal or she can also suspend delivery for really high intensity workouts. I would hesitate to remove the pod because the activity level at the practices may not be enough to compensate for the lack of basal insulin.

4. lil'Man'sMom

He wears the pod with football, lacrosse and basketball but wrestling it is full contact; they actually grab, grip and hold. I see no way to protect the pod.

I am not sure how wrestling will effect him. He hasn't wrestled in 3 years and he was MDI then.

I guess it is going to be trial and error the first few days.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You might want to do a dry run on this. Jack would not be able to go 2 hours without basal without developing ketones, even when his activity level is high. For instance, when he swims, we have to reconnect every 60-90 minutes and replace missed basal (with a snack, if BG is low).

Some kids can go 2 hours. I think it's a YDMV thing.

ETA: I agree with you that there's no way he could wear the Pod during wrestling.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

We do soccer, swim and Competitive TKD and we also just move her pod below her panty line on her lower back/behind. She has had one rip off sparring once on her arm.

Even with the added activity my dd could not go 2 hours without insulin
    actually with games and competitions she goes HIGH due to adrenalyn and then
    crashed later.... YDMV so just keep a close eye on it!

Good luck!

7. lil'Man'sMom

I talked to the Endo's office, they recommend trying to bolus for 1/2 the missed basal before we remove the pod and see what we get.They agree that we will just have to see how it goes.

I did talk to the coach tonight, I told him that Manning wears a pod and that we would keep it on during warm-ups and then remove it just before the actual contact begins.

Wednesday night will be his first practice.