- advertisement -

removing a site

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by carcha, Aug 27, 2010.

1. carcha

carcha Approved members

My daughter is on a saline trial with the Revel right now and will be pumping insulin next week, starting on the exact anniversary of her diagnosis one year ago! Things are going well but I have one minor question to ask: what is the best way to remove a site? Does everyone just do this in the "ripping off a band aid" style or is there some kind of trick or product to help in loosening the adhesive? Thanks so much.

2. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

If its super stuck we use skin so soft or baby oil and let it marinate a bit. Depends mostly how well its attached, if we used any extra adhesive and what DD preference is..congrats on the pumping!

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

Hi and congrats with the pump! I let my daughter take a nice long bubblebath with a little baby oil in - it really helps and it makes the changing special as this is the only bath (twice a week) where she can have her bubble bath - sort of makes up for the sore to follow!

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

DD used to use remove or nail polish remover (if we were out of remove) but now does it herself. Just gently peels it off. (The bubble bath loosens the navigator!)

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We use REMOVE wipes. But baby-oil works too (just be sure you get the oil out of your fingers before inserting the new set).

6. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

As you can tell it depends on on individual preference but our choice is

1. Band aid style if no extra adhesive was used other than basic iv prep.
    2. If we use mastisol to help secure the site then we use detachol to help remove. Mastisol is great in those hard to stay on situations - such as a day in the ocean.

Many recommend a bath before removal. Personally I give my son a bath after removal. That way the old site has the chance to get truly clean although it started because my son was young enough at the time to want to be able to slide around in the bathtub without the site messing up his smooth slide.

7. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Detachol is what we use :)

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have used baby oil gel.
    Let it sit a while then take off later.

9. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We spray with de-solv-it spray. It's a citrus based spray that is safe for skin and is found at your local hardware stores for around $5. A bottle will last for about a year!!
    We have used it for 3 years of pumping. Spray, let it sit a bit and site will come off very easily. Often we spray the old site, insert the new then by that time, the old one comes right off.

10. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

McKenna just kind of peels is off. We use Animas insets. No desolvers used. She has never complained about it.

11. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

We use Unisolve.......they come individually wrapped. They are wipes and they work great to take off any residue left behind by the old site too. We get them through Minimed although before I knew about them I was able to find them at a medical supply store but they aren't cheap ($20 a box, if I remember right) so I'm glad it's covered through Minimed.

12. carcha

carcha Approved members

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses! We are very excited about the pump, and it's hard to believe that starting next week we'll be able to ditch the meal schedule (9, noon, 3, 6, 9 ugh!) and the rigid carb plan we've been living with for a year. Can't wait! Thanks again.:)