- advertisement -

remotely managing the D is quite workable

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Mar 22, 2011.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD's recent trip to another province made clear to me how powerful a tool a cell phone can be in terms of managing the D at a distance.

We were 2000+ miles apart, but were able to easily connect and converse at mealtime and bedtime about bolusing/correcting. Sometimes she was at her hosts, sometimes at the mall or restaurant, once at the pool. Sometimes I was at home, sometimes out in the northern Canadian bush, sometimes on the road. Overnight measures just involved her setting her ring tone to high, and me calling at the necessary time. None of this would have been possible 20 years ago.

It is theoretically possible that we could even give our grown CWDs at college a "D holiday" by taking up the reins for a short time when asked - not that they would likely go there, but who knows? :cwds:

2. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Cell phones are our best friend!! we handle all of D at school through text messages...it sure has made a difference for us and it even helped to lower her a1c with me taking over D care for that part of day!!

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I know we would be lost without our cell phone communication. We are very lucky to live in a time where this is possible. :cwds:

4. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Ok sorry this is a bit off subject, but with older kids this may be par for the course. I have a friend whose daughter is type 1, she is older than my son, she is 15. She has always had problems with lows. She was diagnosed at 3 and so is pretty independent. Anyway, she said her daughter has her first boyfriend. He (the boyfriend)knew she and her friends were at the Mall. Her boyfriend actually called one of the friends and told her friend to remind her to check her bg! (He knew she was in that teen mode of getting a smidge annoyed if he would have reminded her himself, but was cool with this indirect way of checking on her through her friends, who all have her back) Anyway, when my friend (the Mom) told me about this she was like, that is one awesome caring boyfriend! She even called the Mom of the boyfriend and complimented her on what a wonderful son he is! It was all good. I guess I mention this because at some point, friends/boy/girl-friends/college roomates/wives/husbands will eventually slowly take the place of parents as point and/or support people. This story might be something that takes place during that transitional time as our kids grow up.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I got my first cell phone the week Maddie was dx'd in 2002. Even today 80% of my cell phone usage is D related.

I remember reading about a mom of a CWD, before cell phones, and before the American's with Disabilities Act, and how she just spent every school day in the school library waiting for her 7 year old Type 1 kid to need a shot or a bg check.:(

If you must have insulin dependent diabetes, now is the time.:eek:

6. mocha

mocha Approved members

It's true. My husband takes care of me. He's driven me home to get more insulin when I didn't check my pump, he's gotten me juice when I'm low, he reminds me to check and to take all my meds at night. He keeps me grounded, even when everything seems to be in total chaos.

As far as cell phones go, I know they've helped my family with D in many instances. My younger brother has called my mom from school because he was low and the playground duty left him outside :eek: (yeah, I know), and it helped when I went on sleep overs and school trips and off to college by giving my parents peace of mind. Cell phones are just plane awesome. :cool:

7. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I think I would have lost what little sanity I have left if not for texting. I work 18 miles away from the school dd attends, actually in a different town. She got her first cell phone just in time to return to school after dx. We manage quite well with her texting me BGs & pump/CGM info when she needs help.

Just a few weeks after she started pumping last year, she went on a weekend trip 5 hours away with her grandparents. I would not have allowed the trip without being able to stay in touch by cell.

2000 miles is a bit far for me to think about just yet. :D

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I cannot even imagine trying to handle D remotely 10 or 15 years ago when cellphones had not reached mainstream. How about before most of us even had a land-line? It makes you realize what an absolute necessity a cellphone has become.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yes...William is also 9 and has a cell phone (love Kajeet for younger kids - very cheap) and it definitely keeps me sane to know I can call him when he is out playing with kids down the block - or he can call me. I think I actually bug him LESS since I know HE can reach me anytime.

Yeah - I tell the nurse that she is the only one that calls me pretty much - LOL!

Another great thing about smart phones is that on my IPhone I have Apps that give me carb counts for food - including restaurants - or I can go to the website of the restaurant. With the food allergies and diabetes he has, this definitely is a wonderful tool whether near home or out traveling.

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I often think how I would be afraid to even leave the house if it weren't for my cell phone--especially in the first year after dx!! Now, the nurses at school are pretty on the ball and know what to do (or what I would do) in most instances, and I'm not quite so nervous. I don't know how my sister did it when her daughter with D was young!