- advertisement -

Remote Dexcom Monitoring is Live

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, May 18, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

With the help of someone over at CGM in the Cloud, I've got remote monitoring of my daughter's dexcom. This is a picture on my laptop. For now, I am just using it to watch her numbers overnight (like dexcom share) because the receiver will not pick up in our room. I'm trying to work on an inexpensive way to have her live while at school, but for now, we are just dipping our toes into this during the overnight hours. It's pretty cool, but I'm going to need to get a wireless charger for my phone because I can't figure out how to turn off the fact that my phone charges the dexcom while it's attached and that REALLY drains the battery. It's definitely a work in progress, but it's pretty cool, I must say.
    [​IMG]

2. suej

suej Approved members

That is so awesome. As soon as dexcom available in South Africa we will move to it and join the community in the cloud. Hope it goes well for you and your family.
    Kind regards

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Who makes this app? Is this available?

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Look down on the activety list for a thread saying CGM in the cloud.

Sorry on the iPad and not sure how to hyperlink.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I found that thread. Can anyone use this or are they limiting it to a test group?

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    I believe anyone can try to use this. No support. Kind of at your own risk sort of thing.

I would love to, hear your review of the system if you bet it going.

7. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Could someone please explain how to do it in more details for the ones like me that are slow on technology? thanks!!

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have not gotten that far!

From what I know you need a USB or 2cords, a specific USB type android phine, and the app.

9. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

This is a homebrew application and is not supported by Dexcom. This was created by developers unwilling to wait for sharing of Dexcom data in the cloud. If I were Dexcom I would be a little nervous because this solution seems way more portable compared to the Dexcom Share.

Here is what you need to do to get it working. This is not "consumer friendly" but not impossible either. If you have a programmer/techie friend, this would be simple for them to help you with.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RP-0KAX0Z46iGmShBdygY7_vQN1d-xEgtK_dSsjCA20/edit?pli=1

A few things to note:
    1) You will probably need an extra Dex receiver.
    2) The transmitting end of this setup does require an Android device (https://github.com/rnpenguin/cgm-remote-monitor/wiki/What-upload-devices-work-best? )

People are warning that the micro usb port on the Dex receiver is very fragile and is not designed for constant plugging/unplugging, so be careful.

Also, there is nothing secure about this application whatsoever. Anyone who knows the web address would be able to see your kiddos numbers,and if that concerns you don't use this solution.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

From my reading of the Facebook group posts, an extra receiver is not required. I believe the link to the group is included in the blog post I shared in the CGM group. Some users are also buying a Pebble watch, which displays constant readings of the numbers & arrows only.

This requires carrying more devices, not fewer. That might be something to consider.

11. kvnc

kvnc Approved members

Hm, sounds interesting and complicated!

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So I think I need a D dog to carry and follow her around then!

13. Michelle'sMom

My dd has no interest in another dog, especially one that follows her everywhere, but she'll tolerate (& sometimes even appreciate) the Dex. :)

It's not a huge addition of equipment to carry. From what I've seen, users are buying plastic pencil boxes or something similar. The Dex receiver remains attached to the Android phone, & is kept in the box to make sure it stays attached. This relieves the stress on the Dex receiver charging port, which could really use a redesign, IMHO.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd would DIE for any dog let alone a D dog that went with her everywhere

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am all for the DIY aesthetic and I do think this seems useful, but I think it is important to remember that this is a hack, not approved by the device manufacturer or the FDA. If something were to go wrong with the CGM or the phone, it would void the warranty.

I didn't read this in too much depth because it doesn't really affect me, so my concern may not be totally valid, but just wanted to throw it out there because I do know that the CGM's are not cheap.

16. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My understanding is that you are hacking the phone not the CGM (I could be wrong). The receiver is just transmitting the data it normally would the hack is in getting the phone to read it and transmit it to the cloud. I think it's great that people aren't waiting. Things like the share that just transmit data shouldn't have to go through all these hoops for approvals, in my opinion. It's not different than people who hook up a baby monitor to remotely monitor. You're not changing how the CGM works or how it shows the data you're just transmitting it so it can be viewed on other devices.

17. Michelle'sMom

^ I totally agree.

18. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If that is the case, then great, all you have to lose is the phone.

The part that concerned me was when they were talking about the Dexcom Receiver and how the USB jack was very fragile and many people have broken their jack. And that repeated plugging and uplugging could cause a break. And that if the cable is plugged in and it drops is could break. But what do I know. :)

19. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I thought the pencil box was clever. Waterproof. Sturdy enough. Portable. Just have to be careful about leaving it out in the sun.

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

This is really helpful, thank you. A few questions:

- What kind of usb cable connects the Dexcom to the upload device? Do I just get a cable with micro-USB on both ends?
    - Are two phones needed, one for upload and the other for monitoring? Or just for the upload if I monitor on a PC?
    - Is the Moto G phone the only one that works with this?
    - Where exactly to I need to install the source code? Is it on the mobile device, or do I need to host the code on a server?